Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
dwigfor
Expert

David Wigforss
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
Burbank, USA

Animation Mixer-Trimming clips containing Clip Effects

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time trimming clips containing Warps in the Animation Mixer. When I try to trim, it's not trimming the Warp; it shifts the keyframes around instead. By doing that, it's messing up my warp.

Any solutions?
Thanks,
-Dave

Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
grahamef
Expert
Grahame Fuller
Tech Writer
Autodesk M&E
Canada

Would it help to bake the warp to a new clip (Clip > Freeze and Replace) and then trim that, or do you need to be able to adjust the warp later?

P.S. I think that's happening because the trim gets applied before the warp.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
dwigfor
Expert

David Wigforss
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
Burbank, USA

That sounds like that should work. I'm still fairly new with the Animation Mixer, and clips/freeze sounds like it might help with other issues I've encountered. I wish there was a better way to organize/search for actions. I've been aquiring quite a few with each show that passes.

Another issue I have is getting some of my clips to blend together. If I could get them to blend based on global point positions, I think that would fix my problem. My main problem is the way the clips are generated, based on ICE Tree using a "stop staring" type of control panel. So after I made my first episode with the slider animations, I wanted to find an easier way of controlling the keyframes. Then I learned I could create a character key set with all my controls, and then create actions based on those fcurves for use with Animation Mixer. It's SO much easier retiming stuff! But not all my actions match up perfectly with each other, and because my characer is animated solely with shape animation (and a global srt so he can spin around) with ICE controlling the different poses via sliders, the transitions can't function properly. My solution was to create a new action to blend the different clips. Paste Actions helps alot in that case, but clips/freeze sounds even easier; thanks for that tip.

Could I create another ICE tree on top of the Animation Mixer that would help with the transitions/blending of my clips, based on the global point position?

Thanks for the reply, Grahame.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Time warps are in clip time, which means if you trim the clip, the timewarp will often be visibly affected.
Either do as G suggested, and you can bake to a new time and then trim comfortably, or consider doing your clip editing an assemblying in iterations (do, remove, clip, do again).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
grahamef
Expert
Grahame Fuller
Tech Writer
Autodesk M&E
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwigfor
Another issue I have is getting some of my clips to blend together. If I could get them to blend based on global point positions, I think that would fix my problem. My main problem is the way the clips are generated, based on ICE Tree using a "stop staring" type of control panel. So after I made my first episode with the slider animations, I wanted to find an easier way of controlling the keyframes. Then I learned I could create a character key set with all my controls, and then create actions based on those fcurves for use with Animation Mixer. It's SO much easier retiming stuff! But not all my actions match up perfectly with each other, and because my characer is animated solely with shape animation (and a global srt so he can spin around) with ICE controlling the different poses via sliders, the transitions can't function properly. My solution was to create a new action to blend the different clips. Paste Actions helps alot in that case, but clips/freeze sounds even easier; thanks for that tip.

Could I create another ICE tree on top of the Animation Mixer that would help with the transitions/blending of my clips, based on the global point position?

I'd like to answer but I'm not completely understanding the situation. Feel free to elaborate and I'll try my best.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread