Thanks for the laugh...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Thanks for the laugh...

...honestly, what the hell are the people monitoring the submissions smoking?

Just got a rejection email stating my work doesn't meet cgtalk's level of quality. What quality exactly? The one we're seeing in the Gallery recently? Oh well, you mean the lowest possible level of quality that keeps being passed through. Ok then, got it. You could've tried to be funny at least.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
I haven't been around here very long, but I don't think they like professional/corporate work in the 3D gallery.

Your Lufthansa piece looks stunning by the way.

-AJ

Old 11 November 2012   #3
welcome in teh club :(
gott all my stuff rejected this year ...
would not mind if all other work where better .. ( and trust me .. some stuff really put me to shame as the quality is stellar )

but on the other hand , some work in the gallery are really sub par ... really start to think that certain people have been put on a black list

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Hi guys, I'm painfully aware of the inconsistency in the gallery but I did make it very clear to people that this would happen if we instituted a panel judgement process as opposed to me doing all the validation, which was what I had been doing for years. Everyone on the judging panel has different ideas about what constitutes "good enough" as it's hard to draw a common consensus on that between multiple people, and since an image only requires a couple of votes for other "yes" or "no", this inevitably results in huge inconsistencies.

We are planning to radically change the entire system in the new future. The plan is to allow all work into the gallery and then rely on an "editor's choice" approach to highlight all the best work. This will be combined with far more space on the front page for plugs. I feel this is a fairer and more efficient way to handle things.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thanks for the explanation, Leigh. I know from our conversation on the suggestions forum that a new gallery/portfolio system is on the way, I hope it will be introduced rather soon.

Again, let the community decide whose work is worth to be seen, otherwise you'll have these threads come up over and over again. I know the rating system has been abandoned because it was misused every now and then but it was a better solution than what we have now.

Christophe, it's a shame that all of your submissions in 2012 have been rejected, especially if you consider what the rejection e-mail states: "We'd like to encourage you to re-submit your work". It just sounds cynical in your case.

And finally, about the "post in the WIP section before re-submitting" bit:
Mostly, all of the commercial work people do is confidential in its WIP stage. Many people can only post their final work if it's commercial. In every case, it has already been discussed with the agency, client etc. and there's no need to discuss it with arbitrary individuals on a forum. A judging panel has to accept this fact, otherwise there's a huge silly gap in the conception of cgtalk's gallery.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Originally Posted by pokoy: Thanks for the explanation, Leigh. I know from our conversation on the suggestions forum that a new gallery/portfolio system is on the way, I hope it will be introduced rather soon.

It's on a list of things to do. Unfortunately I really can't give an ETA, as much as I'd like to. I'm hoping it'll be soon too, but we recently got a new tech wizard guy for this type of thing, and he has a big backlog of things to catch up with first.

Quote: And finally, about the "post in the WIP section before re-submitting" bit:
Mostly, all of the commercial work people do is confidential in its WIP stage. Many people can only post their final work if it's commercial. In every case, it has already been discussed with the agency, client etc. and there's no need to discuss it with arbitrary individuals on a forum. A judging panel has to accept this fact, otherwise there's a huge silly gap in the conception of cgtalk's gallery.

I disagree with you somewhat here though. Okay, I understand why you can't post it in WIP or make changes to it, but at the same time, the fact that "that's what the client wanted" shouldn't necessarily mean the image should automatically be accepted. There is plenty of commercial work out there that was approved by a client but still technically terrible or aesthetically poor, like those awful blue aliens in the Argos commercials that make my skin crawl. Hell, even I've worked on plenty of films that have shots which just look crap, which I therefore won't put on my reel.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: Hell, even I've worked on plenty of films that have shots which just look crap, which I therefore won't put on my reel.

Hey wait - I was really talking about the other stuff that the people involved or me are happy with. It's awkward to justify the panel's decisions by making the exception a rule.

edit
Anyways, I don't want to waste your time. Looking forward to the new system.

Last edited by pokoy : 11 November 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread