Cloner + Physical render bug?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2017
Cloner + Physical render bug?

Could someone please confirm that the clones in this scene do not render under physical render?

They were working FINE earlier today and now suddenly on my end the clones do not render.
if I switch to standard than they show up---but not when using the physical render engine on my end.

Thanks!

FILE LINK

04 April 2017
One more note--they render if I turn off render instances.

but in the past they rendered fine as render instances.

04 April 2017
I've had no problems with cloners that employ render instances w/physical renderer. I just tested again on my Mac. No problems.

As for your scene file...something is wonky...it rendered instantly w/physical renderer....sans clones.

When I tried standard renderer it was impossibly slow...not one bucket after 1 minute... and I aborted.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 04 April 2017 at 11:17 PM.

04 April 2017
17.055 works fine with bother renders :(

18.041 standard lags and doesnt render at all, physical does not see clones.

very strange....

i took this scene down to just cloners and cubes, added another identical cloner.. there is something really weird.

this is R18:

this is r17

So r18 has some natural scaling options.. or i dunno what it is.. i think your cloner object just broke.

I'll report it as a bug. But i think your file just corrupted or something.

Last edited by AlekseyVoz : 04 April 2017 at 11:32 PM.

04 April 2017
Thanks Alexey.

A bit confused here too. This element (stripped down) was pulled from an older file that I've rendered many times in the past just fine. I needed to re-open the file and make a client change. So maybe something happened in the latest R18 update that broke it--or its a corrupt file like you suggest.

Thats very nice of you to offer to report it--thanks. I will do the same.

Joel

04 April 2017
It donīt render under R18.041 on my Mac with "render instances" ON.
It renders with "render instances" OFF.

Remark:
Physical Render has problems with "render instances" since ages. You canīt render "render instances" while they are moving with PR motion blur since several versions. Maxon knows it since years, but they donīt care anymore. In this way, Maxon comes closer to Autodesk with every release. Very frustrating ... :-(

04 April 2017
Originally Posted by ClausD: It donīt render under R18.041 on my Mac with "render instances" ON.
It renders with "render instances" OFF.

Remark:
Physical Render has problems with "render instances" since ages. You canīt render "render instances" while they are moving with PR motion blur since several versions. Maxon knows it since years, but they donīt care anymore. In this way, Maxon comes closer to Autodesk with every release. Very frustrating ... :-(

One of the other issues I discovered a while back (and its been mentioned here a few times) is that you cant scale clones to 0 under physical or they "pop off" in animation. Hopefully that limitation is eventually fixed.

Another weird one, (and not sure if this is a physical render or a render instance thing) is that occasionally, cached clones do not show up in a render on a particular frame even though they are all there in the viewport or in a the hardware render.

04 April 2017
... and external caches are *really* wonky when you re-open a scene file after caching.

04 April 2017
FWIW if you disable Enable Scaling in the Cloner it renders fast in standard and works in Physical

04 April 2017
Originally Posted by bdjones: FWIW if you disable Enable Scaling in the Cloner it renders fast in standard and works in Physical

I took bdjones suggestion and tried changing the scale to 99.9%. Worked for me.

reply share thread