Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Question C4D user ended up in class that uses Maya..

Well seems like people saying they were similar lied because this program feels unnecessarily clunky. C4D felt streamlined and had a really good learning curve, maya just feels like you have to go through alot of options just to find one feature. I feel like I wanna cheat and use c4d, any pointers to help me with maya?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
phaedarus
Veteran
portfolio
phaedarus
toronto, Canada

Many are loathe to say it, but the truth of the matter, is that Maya was written for software engineers, not artists.

Autodesk targets large and medium sized studios that have programmers on hand to create custom solutions. Maya is really just a UI with rudimentary modules thrown in that sits on top of the CG industry's most customizable API.

The supposition by Autodesk is that you are expected to develop your own workflow and operational solutions via MEL scripting.

This is the reason why many long standing bugs never get fixed. Large studios can code their way out of dilemmas such as the length of the time it takes to set up various rendering parameters and the lack of comprehensive modeling tools.

Maya is designed to work in a non-linear fashion with node based relationships - you can adjust and combine multiple parameters to create nearly limitless possibilities, particularly with shaders. Maya is renown for its ability to create special effects with fluid, cloth and particle simulations that are used in the film industry. It also has arguably the best toolset within the Autodesk family for rigging and animation.

Maxon's target market is the TV and film broadcast community. Their products are aimed particularly at those who use After Effects. As a result, Cinema4D adopts a different approach by heavily emphasizing hierarchical structures and inheritance to facilitate particle and object motion which are output as separate render passes. Cinema4D's workflow is designed around the needs of the motion graphics artist. It integrates well with Adobe's suite better than any other industry standard application and it also has an an excellent 3D/matte painting module (Bodypaint). It's actually a lot of fun to use unlike Maya.

The primary weaknesses of Cinema4D lies in its lack of comprehensive character animation tools, poor software rendering quality, minor but strange limitations such as the inability to see UV maps of more than one selected object and it's baking abilities are quite frankly a joke - making it a poor choice for AAA game title development.

Generally, the reason why you're going through layer after layer of menu items is because Maya does virtually everything. It's sheer versatility brings with it increased complexity. Cinema4D is a linear A-Z workflow based application; which is why it seems more streamlined for you.

The answer to using Maya more efficiently is to memorize the keyboard shortcuts of the most used functions. Create a customized shelf to store all your scripts and tool operations so you can click on a single icon rather than delving through menu sets. Marking menus are also your friend; in Maya they are context sensitive and options will appear based on what tool you have selected. Finally, get use to utilizing the hotbox as much as you can - all of Maya's commands can be accessed from that single interface which lets you hide other things to free up more screen real estate.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
f3rry
Keeping my sanity
dan fred
Afghanistan

there is absolutely nothing more I can add to the explanation above....

Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks Phadareus. I'll give maya another go. C4D will still be my main program, but for now, I think it is best to know multiple programs..

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
VinceX
Veteran
portfolio
Vince Whitmore
Kalamazoo, USA

A very interesting assessment of Maya.

Any suggested books or sources for us beginners to accomplish such programming? It seems like something I should learn.

Thanks,

VinceX

Last edited by VinceX : 09-15-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
SePu
Expert

portfolio
Hernan S
Senior 3D / VFX Artist
Sony Entertainment
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to SePu

Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
EightBit
Lord of the posts
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA

If you're going to study up on Maya programming, I'd recommend that you learn Python as opposed to MEL.
Maya Python for Games and Film
No matter what approach you take, plan on a lot of study.
More resources:
I started with Chad Vernon's Tutorial. There is also a link to a pdf version at the top of the page.
Also useful are reverse engineering scripts from Creative Crash and subscribing to the Maya Programming Forum here at CGTalk (excellent place to get questions answered).
Another Maya-centric list to subscribe to (and ask questions) is Python Inside Maya Google Group.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
VinceX
Veteran
portfolio
Vince Whitmore
Kalamazoo, USA

Thanks and Moved to Programming Forum

I would like to thank people for their input and now have a hundred dollars of books sitting my Amazon Shopping Cart.

But before I buy them I have to deal with the question that I had never considered before which is which language to learn.

I feel have already diverted this thread from its original direction enough (sorry!) and have started a new discussion of language preferences in the programing forum. I would appreciate any further comments on this language topic being posted there.

Thanks again!
VinceX

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedarus
Finally, get use to utilizing the hotbox as much as you can - all of Maya's commands can be accessed from that single interface which lets you hide other things to free up more screen real estate.

Good advice, I can't get my head around why people don't use it.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
KaMate
Upper Space to Let
portfolio
Ooops
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceX
I would like to thank people for their input and now have a hundred dollars of books sitting my Amazon Shopping Cart.

But before I buy them I have to deal with the question that I had never considered before which is which language to learn.

I feel have already diverted this thread from its original direction enough (sorry!) and have started a new discussion of language preferences in the programing forum. I would appreciate any further comments on this language topic being posted there.

Thanks again!
VinceX

Python with a smidgen of Mel, Python is cross application so it's another skill with a bit of portability.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread