mhovland
MEL Monkey

portfolio
Mike Hovland
Technical Artist
Robomodo
Chicago, USA

Patrick and everyone.

I am the moderator for the challenge section of the Nevercenter Silo forum. That being said, I have had numerous people clamoring every once in a while for there to be contests running on the Nevercenter forums. So, like a good moderator, I set up a contest, and no one participates.

I want there to be contests on the Silo forums, but after the last modelling session I set up, and no one participated, I kind of gave up.

I'm glad to see there are a bunch of people over here who are interested in doing contests/sessions, and hopefully there will be more traffic over at the Nevercenter forums, and we can actually get the sessions going again.

Here is what I am going to do:

Over on the Nevercenter forums I will set up a new speed modeling session, using the old list of topics. I am interested in seeing the amount of participation that will come in. Everyone needs to prove me wrong, and get involved over on Nevercenter's forums.

I will also set up a new topic for submitting ideas for speed modelling sessions, so let's get some new ideas going.

I will either clean out the forums of all the old dead threads, so it will be nice and clean, or talk to Jamchild to do the house cleaning for me.

Everyone who is interested in speed session and modelling sessions get on over there and participate.

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 PM   #17
MArll
Veteran

coolies.. i am off over there to check it out now

Old 07-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #18
mhovland
MEL Monkey

portfolio
Mike Hovland
Technical Artist
Robomodo
Chicago, USA

Don't go running over there yet, I am waiting for my admin rights to be updated so I can clean things out.

Nothing there yet, but coming soon.

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Old 07-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator
Huntingdon, United Kingdom

I would guess that the last challenge was just too big. Design and model a concept car in 2 weeks, woah! There's no way I could find the time to do that. I would suggest simpler projects or much longer deadlines. Even then there's bound to be times when hardly anyone manages to complete in time. - Baz

Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #20
jamchild
Silo Developer

Jamchild
USA

Hey Mike, your moderator priveledges should be restored now.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #21
mhovland
MEL Monkey

portfolio
Mike Hovland
Technical Artist
Robomodo
Chicago, USA

Thanks Jam!

I will start work on cleanup tomorrow, and get a few new topics posted.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #22
pnoland
Expert

portfolio
Patrick Noland
Particle pusher
Chicago Area, USA

Send a message via AIM to pnoland
Cool Mike, I'll definatly participate in some speed modeling. Heh heh, yeah sorry about not participating much in the Silo3d challenge but I got swamped with texture work for the pixel corps and that's been taking up most of my precious time. It's a slow time now that our project is almost complete (until we get the next one) so I'm free.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #23
VisualKing
Frequenter
Robert London
modeler/animation
USA

I agree on this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoland
While two weeks may seem like a lot of time you have to think that most of us can't spend our full attention on this project, it's something to work on every so often. At least this is the case for me. You -could- do 20 models in two weaks but why not work on one model in two weeks and make it really good instead of 20 so-so models? Not dissing your modeling skills in anyway just saying... Speed modeling is another good idea too, I think that could be anotehr good side challenge. Maybe when Nevercenter gets their new forum setup there could be a speed modeling challenge thread for that.

Speed modeling to me would not work because i work also. So if i participated in a speed modeling session, my models would not look good at all since my time can't be used only on modeling. Speed modeling also limited for some of us because most speed modeling sessions on any site, looks more like a beginners model. Unfinished and not so good.

I hope we'll also have modeling sessions that are not meant for speed modeling, but for a finished piece of work with detail and precision. If that happens..." IM IN"

Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #24
mhovland
MEL Monkey

portfolio
Mike Hovland
Technical Artist
Robomodo
Chicago, USA

There will be both speed sessions and regular sessions. As I see it, the benefit to speed sessions is it forces you to learn to work faster, and more accurately.

Think of speed sessions as a learning tool. If you are honest about the time spent on a model, you can only improve the more you do them. You will find yourself becoming much faster at blocking out the initial shape and form. You will learn mostly from false starts and mistakes, but that is the purpose of learning.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 AM   #25
Maximus3D

portfolio
Magnus
Freelance 2D/3D artist & animator
Luleć, Sweden

I agree that speedmodeling helps you learn alot and model faster and better, it's not just a doodle thing. But it would help lots if there were a simple timer plugin and a modeling recorder script thingy like they have in Zbrush 2 so you can record your session with the time it takes accurately and then just load it up in Silo and watch the model being built infront of you with the timer running. For those who can code it shouldn't be too hard to do such a thing (i hope).

/ Max

Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #26
LouisBrowne
AKA>> Mr GetDown~

portfolio
Louis J. Browne
Freelance
South West London, United Kingdom

Talking

Having a featured artist prize, as the winner of these Neversoft challenges would really be great incentive for lots of artists to head on over to your forums, & pull out some quality stuff

I'd enter If I knew the winners work got displayed on the front page of silos site!

The Wips on the Silo forums here and over at Neversoft seem to be 95% character work. Which is obviously due to the nature of Silo’s tools. As a request could at least the first couple of challenges be character based and reflect the interest

Thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #27
Nikola
Veteran
Modelling, character animation

curent wip

Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread