Gunboat in battle, Jussi Jahkola (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Gunboat in battle, Jussi Jahkola (2D)

Title: Gunboat in battle
Name: Jussi Jahkola
Software: Photoshop

This piece was done as part of my bachelor's thesis, in collaboration with my friend Raine Kuusi. It's meant as promotional material for a project aiming to build an 18th century Swedish gunboat, based on surviving original plans. Hundreds of boats like it served in the Russo-Swedish War of 1788–90.

The client wanted a dramatic naval warfare painting with an absolutely accurate portrayal of the gunboat itself. We decided that the best way to convey the drama would be to emphasize the role of the boat's crew, courageous in the face of the much larger frigate bearing down on them. After all, the boat itself isn't really much to look at! :)

The piece was done as a digital painting, with scraps of photo reference making up the base layer of parts of the background and the sea. The gunboat was painted over a 3d-render to save time, and to ensure the accuracy of the design and perspective. The crew and flag are painted from scratch.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Thumbs up

WOW! really great painting, the lighting and composition are very impressive

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I agree with victorior, lighting and composition are exceptional and both emphasize the dramatic feel you were going for.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Great piece Jussi!
You have definitely achieved the drama there with the composition and the cinematic type of viewpoint / lighting / color theme. The details and perspective also emphasizes the dynamism, but I'm sure you were aware of that during the implementation.
Nice job! And also would like to thanks for the detailed description. (nowadays most of the artist here don't share technical details or experiences about their works, but these descriptions just let the viewer to a better understanding and gives more joy-factor, as the fragments of the background story have been revealed)
Keep it up!

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Fantastic job!!

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thanks very much for the kind words, it means a lot!

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread