C4D slow save/load times

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
C4D slow save/load times

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue.

I'm working with large files over a network (some rigs are over 400MB). The rigs are all xpresso based, with some constraints/spline dynamics in there for good measure. Using xrefs for pretty much everything apart from cameras/lighting, including scenery. A typical scene contains 5-7 xrefs, some lights, camera, placeholder nulls.

I've clocked some save times at over 20 mins, which to me seems excessive, since the project itself is quite small. I'm connected via cat6 cable via a 1gb network card and I can get pretty good IO performance doing simple things like playing back footage in premiere or copying files to the network. When saving the c4d files I usually see network usage for c4d drop to under 3/4mbps, with very low CPU usage. This to me says that either there's a bottleneck on the network (there isn't) or in C4D's file handling.

Has anyone managed to mitigate this? I understand that most people won't be working with large files in a team using C4D, (and this certainly isn't my first rodeo) but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned at the lack of progress in this area since R17.

1 Week Ago
400mb should be no problem.
are you xref assets on network or local?
what happens if you clear the xrefs and save? is it then working as expected?

1 Week Ago
Hi Paul,

Xref assets are all on the network - it's tricky to share them with other artists if they're all local.

Yep - if I clear the assets, all good, under a second to save them. Deleting the xrefs out of the project is almost instantaneous.

However if I try to make them editable that takes considerably longer.

1 Week Ago
Additionally, creating the xrefs in the first place is very fast. For particularly large or complex assets it can take 10 seconds to bring them in, but most are < 3 seconds.

1 Week Ago
This is a known slow area of c4d. xrefs over a network is pretty much the slowest thing you can possibly do regarding save and load times. Theres no known solution as far as im aware. Not outside of syncing the remote files to a local drive.

1 Week Ago
Ah, that's unfortunate. Looks like we're back to copying and pasting updates between 70+ shots again then.

reply share thread