Thoughts on C4D + Fusion Workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
Thoughts on C4D + Fusion Workflow

I'm getting a little frustrated with After Effects and the dev team's lack of focus on performance (a topic I don't want to get into here other than to just give the context and move on) and real innovation, and some of the classic plugins are getting a bit rusty as well.

So I'm looking into alternatives. Nuke is not really of interest to me because of how complex and expensive it is. I also don't like their tiers. Like the Houdini of compositors basically (although their learning edition is way better than Nuke's). Powerful but I don't have the time or inclination.

Looking at BlackMagic Fusion it appears there is purpose-built support for C4D geometry, there's quality color grading, compositing, and the like. GPU accerlated features via OpenCL is big too. Even quite a large collection of nodal effects. Have any of you guys used Fusion as your primary compositing and finishing tool for C4D projects? If so how did you like it? The price is certainly great.

Last edited by Blinny : 1 Week Ago at 01:07 AM.

1 Week Ago
I'm just as annoyed with the slow progress of AE*, and Fusion is one of those apps that I've always wanted to get into, but compositing is such a minor part of my existing workflow that simply doing things in AE as I've always done is just the simplest & fastest approach for getting stuff done and out the door.

* That being said, the next release of AE is the very first CC release that I'm actually looking forward to because there's actual features that I'll actually use.

1 Week Ago
I use fusion, and love it.

Better than AE in speed, and better than Nuke on price and complication.

When Chad (grayscallegorila) was explaining arnold lights he did a brief comp on fusion so you an have a look.

I would recommend Fusion for sure, It really amazing for comp, and the free version has everything (or at least 90%) of what you need.

Not a lot of tuts online, but with the basics you can easily get it going.

Good luck!

1 Week Ago
Luke: I find the upcoming upgrade of AE (unless there's more they're not telling us about) to be pretty underwhelming in its scope. Again I don't want to belabor that here but other than VR there's a few workflow improvements and a few sped up fx and that's about it. I would really prefer to stay with AE in the sense of I know how to use it but there's really very little incentive to stick around at the moment.

drbello: very encouraging, thanks for posting some thoughts. Thinking of using it mostly as a finishing tool (color grading, etc) but also for the occasional composite job. Tools look pretty powerful and one thing I know for sure is Black Magic does a nice job with its documentation. I noticed as well not many tutorials online. Surprised me a little but I get that Nuke holds sway on the high-end. Or Smoke if you enjoy getting stuck in a pit of Autodesk subscriptions.

1 Week Ago
If you are after color grading Fusion is also connected to Da Vinci Resolve

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: If you are after color grading Fusion is also connected to Da Vinci Resolve
Yeah I should be more general and just say finishing work (final color and lighting adjustments, etc). When you say "connected to" do you mean "requires a license for" or that it borrows the same technology in Resolve? I did see one mention of Resolve on the product descriptions but maybe I missed something. Will check it out but let me know if I'm missing something cost-wise.

1 Week Ago
It's connected in the sense that there is a bridge to roundtrip from DaVinci for timeline editing/color grading and Fusion for compositing, similar to Premiere/AE.

I honestly want to switch from Premiere/AE to Davinci/Fusion, but I'm still learning and I keep going back to Adobe when I'm in a rush because I'm more comfortable with it.

For plugins and pure text/motion graphics though, I'll still be using AE for quite some time though.

But Both DaVinci 14 and Fusion 9 look awsome.

1 Week Ago
I had a look at IBC and it did look very good. I would probably go over to Fusion but working collaboratively the standard is still AE.
Plus it's another piece of software to learn

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Yeah I should be more general and just say finishing work (final color and lighting adjustments, etc). When you say "connected to" do you mean "requires a license for" or that it borrows the same technology in Resolve? I did see one mention of Resolve on the product descriptions but maybe I missed something. Will check it out but let me know if I'm missing something cost-wise.

What EricM says. Here is a video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FknSugMH_fE

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by EricM: It's connected in the sense that there is a bridge to roundtrip from DaVinci for timeline editing/color grading and Fusion for compositing, similar to Premiere/AE.

I honestly want to switch from Premiere/AE to Davinci/Fusion, but I'm still learning and I keep going back to Adobe when I'm in a rush because I'm more comfortable with it.

For plugins and pure text/motion graphics though, I'll still be using AE for quite some time though.

But Both DaVinci 14 and Fusion 9 look awsome.
Yeah that's pretty much my thought, the more I look; it will be tough to completely get away from the CC suite. There's no BlackMagic equivalent for a lot of important FX although I am curious to see how their particle system works and if it's just variations on "glowing sprites", or if it's more powerful like Particular or Stardust. I've looked at Affinity Designer and Photo as Illustrator and PS replaements respectively, but Designer while a really nice app, does not export to AI. Only EPS (dino-format) and SVG (web format) AFAICT. Everything else appears to be raster. And the Photo app doesn't handle video frames yet AFAIK. Both have big potential to unseat (really clean UI designs and good performance) but it'll be a while yet. Also their 10 day trial is BS, even if the price is great.

Thanks to all for the additional feedback. Keep the experiences coming if you've got 'em. I need to look into Resolve / possibly bundles, see what's up. Doesn't resolve require expensive hardware consoles to do its thing? Literally everything I've ever seen or read shows someone at a console.

[WOW. Looks like two apps are freely downloadable, licenses charged only for "pro versions" that have built-in VR tools, collaborative toolsets, etc - which I don't need at the moment and certainly not to test them out. Way to go BlackMagic. Free for something of this calibre is pretty impressive.]

Last edited by Blinny : 1 Week Ago at 07:07 PM.

1 Week Ago
No need for hardware , Resolve is now a video editor mixed with finishing, color editing, you have an editor GUI, a color correct GUI plus an output GUI.

Fusion particles were considered one of the best at least a couple years ago. Dunno how they compare now to Stardust and other new plugins.

You don't need bundles to try both, they are free to use, just download Fusion and Resolve, install and work. The paid versions have more FX and accept OFX plugins, i think they have also collaborative work possible.

1 Week Ago
At a quick glance and run-through with a demo clip, once i learn how to use it better I think Resolve will be perfect for a lot of the finishing stuff.

I had forgotten that way back I had downloaded a version of Fusion and teh UI immediately smacked me upside the head. That toolbar will take some getting used to lol. Also have my hands full still learning all of Cycles4D's nodal tricks.

Definitely going to kick the tire on Resolve for a while. Looks like an awesome tool for color work and more powerful than AE from what I can tell. Like the OpenCL support also.

1 Week Ago
Blackmagic is a fantastic company.

We use their Blackmagic 5" Video Assist Monitor to output stuff through HDMI and record to Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD codecs.

The monitor has a high quality hardware encoder chip built into it that records very high quality - but also very large - ProRes and DNxHD files.

When we want to create demo-clips of what our video processing algorithms can do, we use the Blackmagic box to record our video demos.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Blackmagic is a fantastic company.

We use their Blackmagic 5" Video Assist Monitor to output stuff through HDMI and record to Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD codecs.

The monitor has a high quality hardware encoder chip built into it that records very high quality - but also very large - ProRes and DNxHD files.

When we want to create demo-clips of what our video processing algorithms can do, we use the Blackmagic box to record our video demos.
Yeah honestly everything they do has a very professional feel to it. The more I look the more I like their stuff.

Has anyone tried an eGPU solution on Mac with Fusion 9 or Resolve to see how it impacts the GPU-accelerated features vs. Apple's built-in stuff?

reply share thread