Need Help With Hair & Fur In 3ds Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Need Help With Hair & Fur In 3ds Max

Hello,

I'm going to be rendering out an animation that I'm completing for university and I'm planning on rendering out passes such as ZDepth and Velocity for adding depth of field and motion blur in the compositing stage.

The problem is that one of the character's in my animation will have hair which I'm going to do with the Hair & Fur modifier, but the only way that you can get the effect to render out in the ZDepth and Velocity GBuffer channels is to render it as geometry (as far as I know), but then you lose the nice light scattering material which you get when the hairs are rendered using the buffer or mr prim methods.

So the question I'd like to ask is if anyone knows how to create a material using mental ray which resembles the default Hair & Fur material which you get when the buffer or mr prim methods are active?

I know that you can get motion blur when using the buffer effect by applying a Motion Blur effect in the Environment and Effects window, but then the hairs don't appear in the ZDepth channel. Conversely, if you use the mr pim method then the hairs do appear in the ZDepth channel, but not in the Velocity and applying the Motion Blur effect doesn't work.

Any help would be welcome most welcome.

Thanks,
-Harry

07 July 2013
Hello,

Its quite interesting thing you put in. Frist I would suggest not to use 3Ds Max default hair and fur. You can use Hair farm for 3ds max. If you have some sort of condition to use the default then try one thing by using the render pass for hair and fur from the render settings. then you can play with blur and depth in the post production software's like After effects or Fusion. Hope this help......

Regards,

07 July 2013
Hello,

Thanks for you quick response.

I've heard of Hair Farm but have never used it, I went to the official website and saw that a demo copy of Hair Farm can be downloaded but this places some restrictions on its use so I'm not sure if I could use it, even if it was just for my university work, if I couldn't then I wouldn't be in a position to purchase a commercial license. Also I need to complete my university work fairly soon and I already have an understanding of the Hair & Fur tools in 3ds Max which is why I'd like to use it.

I did a few tests by converting the hair to a mesh object and applying a Subsurface Scattering Fast material, I got some fairly good results but this is the first time I've attempted to create a hair material and just wanted to see if anyone else had created their own hair material.

Thanks again,
-Harry

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread