Copying skin weights between two different skeletal sets?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Copying skin weights between two different skeletal sets?

Hello, I have a skinned character mesh but would like to use a similar but different skeletal set to drive it. Would it be possible using the relative positions between the two sets of joints to transfer weights? ie., shift the skin weights from the old joints to the closest new joints?

Thanks in advance!

06 June 2013
If your character has good UVs, you can export a weight map (Skin -> Edit Smooth Skin -> Export Skin Weight Maps...). Then delete the skin cluster from your character, delete the old skeleton but first make sure that the new one has same joint names as the old one. Create a new skin cluster using the new skeleton, and then load the weights back (Skin -> Edit Smooth Skin -> Import Skin Weight Maps...). This is one of the ways

Steampunk (Video)
Musi panels: A, B, C

06 June 2013
Thank you!!

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by musi: If your character has good UVs, you can export a weight map (Skin -> Edit Smooth Skin -> Export Skin Weight Maps...). Then delete the skin cluster from your character, delete the old skeleton but first make sure that the new one has same joint names as the old one. Create a new skin cluster using the new skeleton, and then load the weights back (Skin -> Edit Smooth Skin -> Import Skin Weight Maps...). This is one of the ways

I dunno.. I have always found the map export to be extremely unreliable and the UV maps have to be perfect which seems to almost never be the case. There cannot be any overlap .. all the surfaces ned to be completed unwrapped in order for this to work.

If I were transferring the same model in the same pose to another skeleton I'd use copy weights.. I use it alot and it seems to work great for this sort of thing. I'd duplicate the mesh and import the new skeleton. Then use the options closest point on surface and closest joint.

At any rate shakii should try both methods and see which works better for him.

06 June 2013
gmask, I agree with you about unreliability of the map exporting, because so many conditions should be observed. But sometimes pipeline does not allow duplicating the mesh this way (ours doesn't).

I always thought you could copy weights between meshes on the same skeleton, how do you do that between skeletons? I use copy weights a lot when I need to attach another mesh similar to the first one to the same skeleton, like clothing or such.

And there is always cometSaveWeights to do it per point (or similar, I have my own tool for that).

Steampunk (Video)
Musi panels: A, B, C

06 June 2013
Hi guys, I've tried copy weights but faced the same issue with musi - it seems like it's for different mesh but same skeleton?

Also tried the cometSaveWeights with same joint naming; the weights are visible in paint weights mode but it just doesn't respond when moving the joints.

I did succeed with probably the slowest method, which is adding the whole skeleton to influence, and joint by joint, flood the weights over from old to new joints. (I probably should've tried writing a script for that...)

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread