i7 980 VS i7 3930k workstation upgrade

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2012
After a long 3 months of waiting for the cpu and cooler, i finally have everything running!

What can i say.. its fast and furious!
. i7 3930
. ATI firepro V5900
. Asus P9-X79 PRO
. Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
. SSD OCZ agility vertex 3 series 120Gb
. Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

Made a comparison rendering the same 3DMax scene in both systems the old one and this one, side by side, and the rendering times were 32min Vs 9min on stock clock! then i tried to punch it a little bit using the "fast" auto-tuning option, and in one simple click got it runing at 3.9Ghz and getting 8min render times, then tried using the "extreme" button and again, with one click you get real time clock speeds going up and you have to cancel the operation when you get the speed you want, i stoped at 4.2Ghz because i was afraid it going over the limit and damaging the cpu! The render times dropped to 7min.

Im really happy with my workstation, and would recommend it to anyone thinking of up-grading.

I do have a final question, how far can/should i go with the clock speed maintaining a safe and steady system?

02 February 2012
Originally Posted by CarcajU: After a long 3 months of waiting for the cpu and cooler, i finally have everything running!

What can i say.. its fast and furious!
. i7 3930
. ATI firepro V5900
. Asus P9-X79 PRO
. Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
. SSD OCZ agility vertex 3 series 120Gb
. Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

Made a comparison rendering the same 3DMax scene in both systems the old one and this one, side by side, and the rendering times were 32min Vs 9min on stock clock! then i tried to punch it a little bit using the "fast" auto-tuning option, and in one simple click got it runing at 3.9Ghz and getting 8min render times, then tried using the "extreme" button and again, with one click you get real time clock speeds going up and you have to cancel the operation when you get the speed you want, i stoped at 4.2Ghz because i was afraid it going over the limit and damaging the cpu! The render times dropped to 7min.

Im really happy with my workstation, and would recommend it to anyone thinking of up-grading.

I do have a final question, how far can/should i go with the clock speed maintaining a safe and steady system?

My 3930 runs at 4.9 ghz 24/7 on water. Temps never exceed 60c. As long as your temps are reasonable (70's C for 24/7 with peaks in low 80's) and your voltage isn't insane you can go as high as your chip will allow.

02 February 2012
Quote: My 3930 runs at 4.9 ghz 24/7 on water. Temps never exceed 60c. As long as your temps are reasonable (70's C for 24/7 with peaks in low 80's) and your voltage isn't insane you can go as high as your chip will allow.

Hi dmeyer,
Ok, so temps shouldn't get above 70C 24/7 and voltage shouldn't be insane; define insane for me if you please, because im new at this (overclocking) and have no knowledge on this area.. and there seems to be many types of voltages with different values on my sensor, cpu Vcore, +12V, +5V and +3.3V, which one are you referring to?

02 February 2012
Originally Posted by CarcajU: ...there seems to be many types of voltages...which one are you referring to?
Not to speak for Dmeyer but when you overclock your chip you increase your CPU voltage to try and stabilize the overclock, but more voltage means more current/heat in the end and it doesn't take much more voltage to generate a lot more heat because of the chip frequency.

02 February 2012
that makes sense, ok so what would the limit be for the voltage? im running my 3930 at 4.326Ghz with 25C temp (40C when 100% load)d and 0.928v Vcore. The temp. is ok but can i try to go higher on the Vcore to get faster clock speeds?

02 February 2012
Wow, consider me impress. 6 intel cores at over 4.5ghz... definitly worth the 500$. I'm already happy with my venerable i7 860 now at 3.2ghz (need an heavy dedusting before crancking that up back to 3.6ghz) but now I know it's time for an upgrade.

My only grip is that I really dont know what to do with my leftover computers. I barely use my second Phenom x6 as it is... Network rendering is just too complicate in Lightwave.

02 February 2012
Im officially running at 4.53Ghz on air, temps are 27C and 60C at peak! this cooler really does the job well, as soon as the rendering stops, temps drop very quickly!

My Vcore is now at 1.024v, is this a safe number?

02 February 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread