Why Hollywood Is Setting Movie Release Dates 5 Years in Advance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Why Hollywood Is Setting Movie Release Dates 5 Years in Advance

Quote:
"hree studios have begun planting extremely early release-date flags for their superhero and animated epics
"

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...s-advance-99936
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Looks like we will be reaching a saturation point sooner rather than later. I wouldn't be surprised if viewer fatigue starts to seriously cut into the studios' profit expectations for these releases.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Makes sense, if you have these movies in production anyway, why not put them on the map. People are talking about it already. Its all free publicity for the whole franchise.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Rickmeister: Makes sense, if you have these movies in production anyway, why not put them on the map. People are talking about it already. Its all free publicity for the whole franchise.

I just hope they don't start releasing teaser trailers years in advance. Seeing the World War Z trailer last September and and being told we wouldn't see the movie for 9 months was really annoying.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Dillster: I just hope they don't start releasing teaser trailers years in advance. Seeing the World War Z trailer last September and and being told we wouldn't see the movie for 9 months was really annoying.

That's not new though. I remember when Hollywood movie Godzilla came out back in 1999 or so, they started showing teasers/trailers for it a good year before its release. I think the key is to gradually build hype with the release being the climax instead of letting people get disinterested before the movie even comes out.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Originally Posted by zeroeffect: Looks like we will be reaching a saturation point sooner rather than later. I wouldn't be surprised if viewer fatigue starts to seriously cut into the studios' profit expectations for these releases.

Saw this Long Ranger review which mentioned that issue

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread