CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Belmont, USA
Question Animation school help?

I'm strongly considering majoring in animation in college (I'm a junior right now, so I've got a little time), and I'm hoping someone'll have some advice for me.

My problem is that I'm just as into science (especially chemistry) as I am animation. Therefore, while an intensive art school such as CalArts or Ringling sounds amazing, I'm worried about the complete focus on the arts. I'm pretty sure animation is what I want to do, though I don't know if I can leave so many other hobbies of mine behind. I've been looking at the Brown/RISD dual-degree program; but I also know RISD's animation isn't the best, so is it worth it? I've also looked into Carnegie Mellon's dual major program. Is their animation department that great? How about that program?

Basically, is art school really worth it? I have the attitude that if I'm goign to drop science and whatnot, I want the art school I go to to really be the best. And from my research on here and other sites, Ringling or CalArts really are the best.

Yep. Any advice/words of guidance?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
lifelong scholar of art
Andrew Prewett
walnut creek, USA
Stop focusing on individual schools and start shopping for yourself. What I mean by this is take every reputation, ad, review etc with a grain of salt. Find what you want to do and why you want to do it, then choose the best course of action to get you where you want to be. So since you are interested in animation and science there are plenty of possibilities, with online training you could easily juggle both to some degree though neither will be as refined as a result. There are plenty of free resources online before you invest a penny of your money as well so you should see how much you can learn now in animation to see if it is what you really want. I would even recommend trying out a training program for a month like digital tutors, gnomon, etc. Just so you can see the sort of training you will see, an idea of the software and better feel if it is right for you.

Glimpse through the list on my signature below and it's certainly not too early to be planning your college since it is a substantial investment of time and money. I wouldn't worry about programs that have traditional art foundations either, my school has and many others do as well. Understanding basic artistic foundational theory can greatly strengthen you as an artist and as a whole. You learn to actually see and control the movement of your wrist, things we take for granted until you actually have to accurately use both.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread