Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
gkmotu
Frequenter

Mads DrÝschler
Dishwasher
Denmark

DSW,
There is a big ocean between us and our countries are very different.
I hear what you say and I know others who has spoken your language if I may call it that - too.
Your guide, is better suited for the original poster because he is also sitting in US and not here.

Idealy, your clients in US needs to be educated, but that is not everything I am affraid.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
BoBoZoBo
Expert

portfolio
BoBo ZoBo
Creative Director
VisualEngineering
Miami, USA

DOUBLE POST - SORRY

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
BoBoZoBo
Expert

portfolio
BoBo ZoBo
Creative Director
VisualEngineering
Miami, USA

Standard freelance is about 30 days for final payment. However, larger companies may take up to 120. If you are doing freelance for a really big company, they may only accept 120 day payment schedules.

This could include: net30 (payment within 30 days of delivery or 50/net30 (where you get 50% up front and the rest within 30 days of delivery). If it is a bigger project and requires sustancial financial investment for it to happen, then 30/30/net30 is common (30% down, 30% at X time, remainder within 30 days of delivery. Out of pocket expenses to be billed to client if not included in project fee.

Personally, i NEVER start a project without some kind of down payment or contract. They will throw "oh, well let me see the result" BULLS-IT. You came to me, you recognize the skills... pay up. The other lovely story is "oh MY client hasn't paid me, soooo..." In which YOU reply "Oh was that a condition of the payment, did you tell me that before.. no? FU PAYME."

This should be a part of your contract IN WRITING. And add a late payment percentage charge (i.e. 15% net every 15/30 days). What also helps (usually better than a threat) is a discount for EARLY payment.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

Last edited by BoBoZoBo : 02-13-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #34
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmotu
Idealy, your clients in US needs to be educated, but that is not everything I am affraid.

Definitely. But as you say, not likely or anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoZoBo
The other lovely story is "oh MY client hasn't paid me, soooo..." In which YOU reply "Oh was that a condition of the payment, did you tell me that before.. no? FU PAYME."

Oh if I had a dime for each time I've heard THAT one.

I respond by saying : "I didn't contract the work through them, I contracted through you. If they don't pay YOU, I still expect to be paid. It's not my fault that you didn't get 50% up front."

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Oh I forgot to add. Whether or not the client gets paid further down the chain has no impact on me getting paid ever. If they're foolish enough to take on an untrustworthy client themselves, Im not absorbing their risk.

One person did try that once, even after weeks of work and payment, they turned around and said "oh, our client hasnt paid us for this job we got you to do, so we wont be able to pay you". I politely informed them that they have 30 days to pay, or Ill be back in a month and will walk out with computer equipment of suitable value to settle the bill.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #36
thepineman
tracks90

portfolio
Manny Pineda
Visualizer
Amodoria
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I agree with those who ask some advance payment first before proceeding with the project as this gives you some assurance that the client is serious. There's an Emirati person who asked me to do a 3D of the Jumeirah area and he willingly gave half of the agreed price of the project. And after the work is finished he gave the remaining half of the price.

But for big companies, I dont ask for an advance as they promptly give a cheque a few days after the work is finished.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread