CGTalk > Gallery > Featured 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
igopavlov
Registered User
Concept designer, 3d artist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
Inah, Igo Pavlov (3D)



Title: Inah
Name: Igo Pavlov
Country: Canada
Software: Xsi, Maya

Style of the character design is inspired by various European comics.Basic modeling is done with Sofimage XSI in abut 2 days + 2 more days of tweaking. UV layouts, rigg and render performed in Maya. Rendered with lighting ring of more than 20 directional lights in Maya.
 
Old 09-02-2004, 04:52 AM   #2
T[iNs]S
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 43
Shes nice. You got that eastern feeling right but I think there is a bit more work to do on the earings as it looks like the earing and the ear a soldered togheter.

Continue your great work!!!
 
Old 09-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
samize
Frequenter
 
samize's Avatar
portfolio
sami ze
Antarctica
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 192
Nice.

I recomend using another shader for her skin, tho. It looks too plastic with that one.
 
Old 09-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
KolbyJukes
Expert
 
KolbyJukes's Avatar
portfolio
Kolby Jukes
Principal Artist
Bioware
Montreal, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,848
Igor,

Man...I don't know what to say about this model. I hope this doesn't come off too harsh - but, you've already graded from VFS, this model would have been acceptable in Term 1 or 2, but I think at this point you should have gained a greater knowledge of modeling. I'd like to give you crits but there are just so many things you have to fix. I suggest you ignore texturing and just try to do a model with proper lineflow and anatomy, which is asthetically pleasing.

Good luck man,

-Kol
__________________
 
Old 09-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
igopavlov
Registered User
Concept designer, 3d artist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
I tried to go for style and make my animators life easier, not exhibit (mimic) the Star Wars/Golum achievements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAK
Igor,

Man...I don't know what to say about this model. I hope this doesn't come off too harsh - but, you've already graded from VFS, this model would have been acceptable in Term 1 or 2, but I think at this point you should have gained a greater knowledge of modeling. I'd like to give you crits but there are just so many things you have to fix. I suggest you ignore texturing and just try to do a model with proper lineflow and anatomy, which is asthetically pleasing.

Good luck man,

-Kol
 
Old 09-02-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
KolbyJukes
Expert
 
KolbyJukes's Avatar
portfolio
Kolby Jukes
Principal Artist
Bioware
Montreal, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,848
one can (and should) employ proper lineflow while producing a stylized 'animation' character. Your animations would be a million times better and easier to produce if you had a visually-interesting character without loads of tris and N-gons. I'm also confused at to why her feet and hands are so heavily subdivided and cleanly defined while her body is so light and messy.

Just because a model isn't realistic doesn't give you excuse to model sloppy, unattractive characters - look at Woody from toy story, or Mr. Incredible from the Incredibles. In repect to geometry they are both relatively simple, stylized, 'cartoony' characters, yet they're also very asthetically pleasing and employ subtle yet realistic textures to push the model up a notch.

I still would suggest that you go back and try to model a character with proper lineflow, and develop a definable, interesting style.

-Kol.
__________________
 
Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
igopavlov
Registered User
Concept designer, 3d artist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
VFS (stigma) about triangles and part of the body that need to be differently defined are not always 100% right way. Generally I got your point and thank you for finding the time for the critique.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAK
one can (and should) employ proper lineflow while producing a stylized 'animation' character. Your animations would be a million times better and easier to produce if you had a visually-interesting character without loads of tris and N-gons. I'm also confused at to why her feet and hands are so heavily subdivided and cleanly defined while her body is so light and messy.

Just because a model isn't realistic doesn't give you excuse to model sloppy, unattractive characters - look at Woody from toy story, or Mr. Incredible from the Incredibles. In repect to geometry they are both relatively simple, stylized, 'cartoony' characters, yet they're also very asthetically pleasing and employ subtle yet realistic textures to push the model up a notch.

I still would suggest that you go back and try to model a character with proper lineflow, and develop a definable, interesting style.

-Kol.
 
Old 09-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
KolbyJukes
Expert
 
KolbyJukes's Avatar
portfolio
Kolby Jukes
Principal Artist
Bioware
Montreal, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by igopavlov
VFS (stigma) about triangles and part of the body that need to be differently defined are not always 100% right way. Generally I got your point and thank you for finding the time for the critique.
My aversion to tris and N-gons is NOT due to some VFS stigma, I'm complaining about them as a professional character modeller, Tris create poles upon sub-division/approximation (causing artifacts and pinching during render), and thus should be avoided whenever possible. N-gons (5+ points) should ALWAYS be avoided. You could easily avoid the tris and N-gons in your character, I would advise you to rework your topology.
__________________

Last edited by KolbyJukes : 09-02-2004 at 08:12 PM.
 
Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
igopavlov
Registered User
Concept designer, 3d artist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
I’ll do the “re-flow” – thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAK
My aversion to tris and N-gons is due to some VFS stigma, I'm complaining about them as a professional character modeller, Tris create poles upon sub-division/approximation (causing artifacts and pinching during render), and thus should be avoided whenever possible. N-gons (5+ points) should ALWAYS be avoided. You could easily avoid the tris and N-gons in your character, I would advise you to rework your topology.
 
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 AM   #10
Jesse-Irvin
I ARE PANT!!
 
Jesse-Irvin's Avatar
portfolio
Jesse Taylor Irvin
Modeling Instructor
Vancouver Film School
West Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 363
Hey Igo, good to see you posting.

I'm totally with Kolby here. He's got some good crits and solid modeling advice. I managed to get a look at your wires before they disappeared off your website and yeah... even animators need good clean meshes to work with.

With the models you had worked with in term 3 and on your reel I would think you would have a better sense of line flow/topology by now. Not only that but the purpose behind it. I must admit I am also quite confused about the hands and toes of your model... They look like they were done in a totally different way than the rest of the character. It's one think to speak of style, but then you go and create a character with elemnts that so blatantly don't match. Just something to consider.


Anyway, don't get discouraged... Keep going! hoep the crits help!
__________________
Prexis the Damned WiP

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com
 
Old 09-03-2004, 03:15 AM   #11
igopavlov
Registered User
Concept designer, 3d artist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 23
I agree. I just don’t believe in this 100% quad-trias-fobia. I removed the wire-pics to redo them, damn IT! I’ll repost it as soon as I finish. The hands are nurbs, rest is poly.

Thanks for the comment

Igo®


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d43Jesse
Hey Igo, good to see you posting.

I'm totally with Kolby here. He's got some good crits and solid modeling advice. I managed to get a look at your wires before they disappeared off your website and yeah... even animators need good clean meshes to work with.

With the models you had worked with in term 3 and on your reel I would think you would have a better sense of line flow/topology by now. Not only that but the purpose behind it. I must admit I am also quite confused about the hands and toes of your model... They look like they were done in a totally different way than the rest of the character. It's one think to speak of style, but then you go and create a character with elemnts that so blatantly don't match. Just something to consider.


Anyway, don't get discouraged... Keep going! hoep the crits help!
 
Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,481
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.