Making Scene Explorer Select?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Making Scene Explorer Select?

MAX2014

Frequently, the Scene Explorer will get in a state where it will not select objects properly. I Single-Click on objects in the list and although the object becomes highlighted, the object is not selected. If I Double-Click on the object... the single object will become selected. Double-Clicking is fine... except it only works for selecting a single object.

If I try to Shift+Double-Click several objects in the list... only the object the mouse was over is selected. The other highlighted objects were not selected.

When the Scene Explorer gets in this wacked state (which is all too frequently), the only thing that works is to close the SE and re-open it and then the SE works properly again... for awhile.

The good old Selection Floater works great and never had a problem like this. And not only did Shift+Double-Clicking multiple objects work but there was always the 'Select' button as a backup to force the selection of highlighted objects.

Is there any way in a Scene Explorer to force a select of the multiple highlighted objects like the 'Select' button in the old Selection Floater?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I should also note another wacked thing about the Scene Explorer.

When NO objects are selected... one of the objects in the list will be highlighted yellow. Of course, when NO objects are selected... nothing should be highlighted at all.

Hopefully an update will be coming soon to fix this and other issues in MAX2014.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I tried the Scene Explorer and figured out quickly that it doesn't work at all the way I think. The Outliner script is pretty decent. (I am sure you have tried it, but others may not have.)

Old 06 June 2013   #4
It`s arguably if nothing is selected in the scene, nothing should be selected in the scene-explorer.
Every other problem you describe i can`t reproduce.
Just make sure 'Sync-Selection' is on.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thanks to all for the ideas.

I haven't installed Outliner in MAX2014 yet... but may need to switch to that.

It appears that it may be related to Sync Selection. When the Scene Explorer is in wacked mode, the Sync Selection shows as checked... but it's grayed out. When I close then re-open the Scene Explorer, the Sync Selection shows as checked and it's not grayed out and it works fine.

One object definitely shows highlighted yellow even though there is no object selected in the scene which seems definitely wrong to me.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Not sure what's causig the problem with Scene Explorer. Another alternative to scene explorer and Outliner is 'Nested Layer Manager:'

http://www.timsportfolio.co.uk/scri...v2-for-3ds-max/

I love it

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thank you Michael... that tool looks very interesting as well. Glad to hear it works reliably.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread