Character referencing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Character referencing

So, I have character. Said character appears in a couple dozen scenes. It is possible to create a single reference file that stores character and rig, and when I update that file (create new detail onto character for example) then character in all other files is also updated? Xref seems to work similar to this at first glance - it loads correctly character mesh, CAT skeleton and even wire parameters, but I store much of animation controllers in attribute holder modifiers, and they are inaccessible in xref objects. How can I solve that problem?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
IŽd put the character in an XREF scene and XREF that scene into all scenes where it is supposed to be.
And then just animate the character in that XREF-Scene, so you can use all custom attributes etc.
Since you probably need to see what the character is doing in specific scene, you can just XREF that scene in the Character-Scene. Just remember to set it to "Overlay" in the XREF Options, so it doesnŽt create a dependency loop.
If the character is supposed to interact with objects in the other scenes, IŽd just merge those objects into the character scene and delete them in the source scene.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Quote: IŽd put the character in an XREF scene and XREF that scene into all scenes where it is supposed to be.
And then just animate the character in that XREF-Scene, so you can use all custom attributes etc.

and that differs from actually merging character file with scene file exactly how? The way I see it, I still will get ton of separate files, the only difference that they will be Xrefed in scene files. Or do I missing something? Thanks for reply

Old 04 April 2013   #4
You have one Master-Animation-File, containing all animated objects, and one File for everyscene. Every change you make to your animation file will correctly update in your other files.
The only thing youŽll have to worry about is, if you make changes to the scene file, that affect the animated objects in the animation file (For example: You animate the character opening a door in the animation file and later on decide to make the door bigger).

I used this workflow in my last project and it works pretty well.
Just stay the hell away from containers! At first they look like exactly what youŽre looking for, but they are quite buggy and troublesome, especially when it comes to rendering.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Well, but problem is - my character have DIFFERENT animation in those scenes, not the same. How I am supposed to organizing this?

Old 04 April 2013   #6
You could set different timeranges for every animation. Lets say:
Animation 1: Frames 0-1000
Animation 2: Frames 2000-3000
Animation 3. Frames 3000-4000

There is a neat little script that lets you specify timeline-ranges and save them as presets, that way you can scwitch easyly between the ranges:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...imeline-control

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread