CGTalk > Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
United Kingdom
Displacement problem in Vray

For a project I am doing at the university I am having a weird problem when trying to apply displacement maps to my character from Zbrush to Maya.

One thing to note as well is that I have multiple UV tiles, but as I was laying them out I suddenly got loads of separate faces here and there on the character, I have no Idea where they were coming from (so I put them on a separate tile, the last one, alongside with some other Uvs that won't be displayed anyway). I tried to unwrap the character again but I got the same result.

Firstly Iimported the lowest subdivisions of the character from Zbrush into Maya, andusing Mental ray I rendered it and it displayed fine. But as soon as I appliedsubdivisions with the approximation editor and removed the objects feature displacementit just rendered black while other objects work perfectly.

So I triedV-ray insead, which I am using for the first time, and it subdivides justfine. Following the displacement set up on this blog:

I managedto get the displacement to show as well, but I get weird deformation on theeyelids and mouth as well as some other parts of the body and one of the hands (not both of them for some strange reason...) When I render I get an error in the script editor // Warning: Some faces of CharacterShape@mesh1@subdivGeometry were removed because they were duplicates of other faces. //
So there is definately something wrong with the geomitry. I have tried the clean up, to merge the whole character and and to soften the edges but nothing works...

These aremy displacement settings in Zbrush

I alsotried another object the same way and I get similar results around the edges. Top images how it looks in maya, bottom images how it looks in Zbrush.

Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
United Kingdom
I've also uploaded the Maya (2011) scene and the Zbrush (4R4) file, if anyone is interested to take a look.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Looking for work
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada
I've had a very similar problem with Vray on 3dsmax. I was also using multiple UVs for displacement. My guess is the problem happens on vray's side.

I ended up using 2 different UVs. The first separated multiple times like you did and another all packed in 1 UV space. In 3ds max it's done with "map channels" but I don't know the equivalent in maya. Also, since the displacement is pack into only 1 UV space, I simply double the resolution of the displacement.

Basically, I save the 2 UVs in a place I make sure never to delete accidentally: Body_Single_UVs.obj and Body_Multi_UVs.obj. That way, I can always import the uv set I need in zbrush at any time.

Here's a link to somebody who managed to make it work Beast dude. I think that since he is using a grey layer under each displacement, it's fixing the problem somehow...

For the hood of your character, did you give it a thickness? If not, it can easily do that sort of problem. If you want to keep it without a thickness, just make sur you paint the border with a perfect grey in photoshop and that should fix it.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread