Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Miniminer
PRO

portfolio
Xavier Vanysacker
Mouscron, Belgium

Pipeline issue (Premiere - After Effects)

Hello,

Last month I had to do a little project with some live footage and 3D animations.
I first made some stills of the 3D animations (to have a "quick preview") and put everything into Premiere where I did the timing of the video, 3D stills and matched it as I wanted with the music.

Afterwards I put everything in After Effects to do some color correction, some "fx",... with the "Open Premiere project" function but I was a bit disappointed because my Premiere project was "flatten" to one simple composition, I only saw my markers indication (I was hoping to have all the different movies and stills separately, like in the Premiere timeline). All my videos, 3D, 2D stills etc weren't visible (only in the file structure but not present separately into the composition).
So I had to redo all the timing, trims etc by hand in After Effect (without sound because After Effects has a strange behavior with sound).

So my question now is: how do you guys would have do it if you were in my case ? If After Effects would have played music correctly I could skip everything from Premiere but this doesn't seems to be possible.

Thanks for your help & time

PS: I hope I put this topic into the right sub-forum.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
jmenkol
portfolio
Jim Menkol
Trego, USA

I actually just went through this on a short with 69 greenscreen shots to be comped. Of course, editing should be done in a application designed for it (Premiere, even if AE were nice with sound). Sometimes I got the "Import Premiere project" function to work, but it was a little finicky. Luckily, there is another way. In your Premiere timeline, select the clips you need to send to AE, right click, and select "replace with After Effects composition" and that will send it straight to AE with all the shots in separate layers and trimmed (sound included!).

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Miniminer
PRO

portfolio
Xavier Vanysacker
Mouscron, Belgium

OMG how could I have missed that

Thanks for your input jmenkol, it's really what I needed (except it doesn't take the "flip effects" over but that's nagging)

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread