Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
jtuulos
learning all the time

portfolio
Jyri Tuulos
computer science student
Helsinki University of Technology
Finland

The Universe Is Shaky, Hasso Neurath Foundation (Animation)

Title: The Universe Is Shaky
Name: Hasso Neurath Foundation
Software: Maya 4.5, Photoshop 7, Premiere 6.5

This is kind of a music video made to the Assembly '04 short film competition. Assembly is the 2nd biggest demo-scene / computer graphics party in the world, arranged annually in Helsinki, Finland. This piece didn't qualify to the actual competition as the quality of the entries was surprisingly good this year (at least better than previous years).

Because of the time limit (5 minutes) and the music video material, the plot isn't so complicated and wasn't meant to be meaningful or clever. I think everyone can follow it in their own way.

First I planned to render the whole thing with mental ray, but as the party came closer I noticed that I just didn't have enough time to render about 5000 frames in MR. So I ended up baking GI_Joe faked GI and using Maya's default renderer.

This was my first experience on character animation and films with a real plot. More information about the character can be found in my WIP thread

I'd like to have some good critique and comments on my work. I'm not changing anything in this animation, because the competition is already over and the rendering took about 3 whole days. But everything you say is always good for my future projects and learning.

Everything rendered in Maya default renderer, textures painted in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, editing in Premiere

Downloads:

Small file (30Mb)
Large File (150Mb)

Screenshots:

Old 08-13-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Kramerica
High Fivin' White Guy

portfolio
Seth Kendall
Character Animator
Cat Daddy Games
Seattle, USA

Red face response

Errr... I think I'm a little confused. Make that very confused. What the heck is going on?

Nice materials and renderings though.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Beans
Veteran

I think that the shading and rendering was good... and the character was appealing... but the pacing was way too slow! I did thing the facial animation not bad though. Remember that a story should be appealing without all the pretty stuff put in... it should work with stick figures... and if it does, then it will be that much better with all the glitter.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread