Transfer skin weights on different characters ???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Transfer skin weights on different characters ???

Hello,

So I am making a game character that will have replaceable limbs.You shoot it in the arm with shotgun,arm explodes and it's replaced with another mesh ( just arm) with bones showing,skin,blood and everything :-D

I have a character that is cut in pieces (all replaceable parts),he is rigged and skinned and it all works fine.
But I want to transfer skin weights to a character with 'destroyed' limbs which don't have the same number of vertices.
I tried selecting for example an arm and binding it to the rest of the body which was already skinned and everything looks fine but there is a small gap between arm and the body ( when it's animated)
So I just deleted history,selected arm and the body and smooth binded.There is no gap but weights are messed up on the body.

Is there a way to transfer weight to a character with different mesh ?

thank's
and sorry for my english,I did my best :-)

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Did you try using the "edit Smooth Skin"|"copy Skin Weights" tool? There are options there to give you some control over the way the weights are interpolated and how the bones are matched.

David

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Hey

I figured it out
Mesh was skinned than separated but when it's separated and than skinned,transfer weights work...don't know why :-D

but thank's for answering

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by skobot222: when it's separated and than skinned,transfer weights work...don't know why :-D

you can only select one source mesh and one receiver mesh at a time. So in the case where you have separate pieces with weights that you need to copy to a mesh that has been combined you need to create sets that match the areas that you want to copy to. Then you can select the source mesh and then the set.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
yes,since I have a character that is in pieces I just select one piece and transfer weights to coresponding piece...leg to leg,arm to arm etc

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Like what Gmask said,.(for separate meshes) select the mesh, get connections in the Hypershade. Select those bones and add a new smooth skin, then use "copy weights", to new mesh. It will do the best it can, but you will need to fix the new area's you changed.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
ok thank's for replying

Is thee any difference in selecting joints in viewport or selecting in hypershade...just want to know :-)

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by skobot222: ok thank's for replying

Is thee any difference in selecting joints in viewport or selecting in hypershade...just want to know :-)

when you say hypershade.. do you mean the outliner?

I'll assume you meant outliner.. the difference would be in viewport it's easier to select other things than what you meant.

I have hotkeys setup with selections masks so that I'll only select joints, curves or meshes etc. I use them constantly.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
my bad...I meant outliner

Old 01 January 2013   #10
I use the material editor (hypershade) and show input/output connections so I can select bones. Easier to see what is going on, and what bones are connected. But I also use the outliner depending on where I work because some scripts require order selection to not break other scripts.
Basically I use both, depending on what is going on.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread