Materials (Bitmaps) mixing - how to?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Materials (Bitmaps) mixing - how to?

I am struggling to obtain in C4D an effect of tiles covered by dirt.
Tiles are defined by single tile bitmap color and normal, which should be applied many times over the surface (to get an effect of many tiles), while dirt map should be applied just once - to create dirt effect on edges of the object, and it should not mask normal map effect from tile.

Please help ! :-) In Vue I can do it quite easily, in material bitmap node I can define smaller scale for tile color and normal (ex. 1/5, to get tile repeated 5 times) and in dirt bitmap I keep scale at 1, and then I just mix tile color map with dirt map.

In C4D when I use materials mixing dirt material covers the tiles material, so there is no effect of tiles normal map (it looks like thick layer of mud covering tiles, while I need an effect of let say thin dust, just affecting color, while keeping the effect of normal map)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg How to do it in C4D.jpg (83.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by czarnyrobert : 01 January 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
In Vue it can be done like this :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg How it is done in Vue.jpg (93.8 KB, 46 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Try applying your dirt in the diffusion channel of a material. Another way is to use a layer shader to stack your materials. You can then play around with channel opacity.

Hope this helps.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
to achieve diffrent uv-tilings, offsets, rotations or mappings for one object/material there
are basically two ways in c4d.

the first one would be layered material tags. for this approach you create one material for
each mapping type you want to apply to your object. for the 2nd and the following
tags simply check additive material in the material tag attribute window.

the second one would be the projector shader. you can use this shader like any other
shader. the shader will you give kind of a virtual material tag for all the shaders which
are being inserted under this shader. take a look at manual for this shader.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Is this close?
Attached Files
File Type: zip dirty door.zip (170.4 KB, 14 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thank you guys for helpful suggestions.
The projector shader is what I was looking for !
It allowed me to define different UV scale for diffuse, and different for color & normals.

I have to check all those shader - so far I was using C4D mainly for modeling and Vue for rendering scenes. Now I want to learn more about C4D materials, lighting, rendering :-)

In attachment the scene with mine two solutions of the problem - maybe it could be useful for someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mixing materials.jpg (78.9 KB, 35 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dirty door 2 ex.zip (255.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip Bitmaps.zip (174.0 KB, 9 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread