Car Rigging Issue (wipers)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Car Rigging Issue (wipers)

hello my fellow artists!!!

guys i am stuck with a car rig i am doing, everything is working good so far, but i can't figure a way out to fix the WIND SHIELD wipers. i tried using an expression and even some other expressions, but it keeps going inside the window(wind shield)... and how can i limit its rotations,

by the way, i have already freezed T,R,S of the wipers object, and i am thinking that is the reason why this expression is not working.

This is the expression i have tried on so far:

Wiper_left01.rotateZ = (sin (5 * time) * 50) + 325

i did try blendshapes as well, but that is a PAIN IN THE NECK!!!

Any tips? help?

Last edited by mehdift : 11 November 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Hi,
You can set key for the wiper to move from left to right (not SDK) and then make the animCurve's attribute to cycle.
Rgds,

Old 11 November 2012   #3
You could use a joint, oriented that it matches the average surface normal at the wipers main axis. This way you at least get back a usefull rotation axis for your wipers. Then parent the wiper geometry under this joint and use its rotation axis. Additionally you could create a joint chain with a IK handle for the wiper arms to compensate the windows curvature offset and another joint chain for the blades to align them onto the surface. You could automate this using nearestPointOnMesh or cloesestPointOnSurface to drive the arms and blades position relative to the window but some driven keys with the arms rotation as input should be sufficient.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread