Michael Fitzhywel
2d and 3d artist
Brisbane, Australia

Alice Hit List, Michael Fitzhywel (2D)

Title: Alice Hit List
Name: Michael Fitzhywel
Software: Photoshop
Submitted: 11th July 2014

As much as its been done to death, I just felt like making my own variant on the 'dark' Alice theme

Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
WRaven

Kamal Eldin
3D Artist
Freelance
Riyadh, Saudi%2BArabia

that's captivating.... great piece and style...Could you please tell us something about how you developed the overall style, references that may inspired you, the idea of her pose...it'd be appreciated....

Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Pantmonger
Inky monkey

portfolio
Michael Fitzhywel
2d and 3d artist
Brisbane, Australia

Sure

For the most part it was a juxtaposition thing, the cute with the horrid. A lot of the dark Alice type I think tends to darken her also. But for me I like the innocent look with a dot of blood and let the setting tell the story. To that end I got a friend of mine who is quite small and innocent looking, to model (we actually got some decent photos out of it as well) in one of the classic, little girl poses. Then is was a case of setting the stage. Old asylum walls and floor with a bit of Silent Hill style rust and decay. Then a few symbolic Easter eggs. The Vorpal blade, the drink me jar, the mushrooms under the chair.

Inspiration definitely comes from Silent Hill for mood, every second cop show for the polaroids, and the million dark Alice things for general idea. I love re-imaginings.

One of the shots from the shoot.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

Thumbs up

Very interesting. I like the rendering style for the character. You actually managed to capture the starchiness of her clothing (a subtle detail with I like). I like how you did the black spade on her eye (warped it to match the changing contours of her face). Her proportions are actually well done, and the folds of the clothes are pretty convincing. I will mention that a bit more shadow variation would've helped her the left side of her face (it's current making the jaw line seem a little longer than the other side because you can't tell where the jaw juts out or changes contours with how you shaded it there; a subtle thing and more a nit pick; but your techniques are a high level). I also wish I could see more of the victim pictures. Namely, I'm curious as to whether they're Wonderland characters or random strangers. Although I like the compositional set up. Overall, you have a strong foundation and a developed composition and a cohesive color palette. Keep it up. Great job.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Pantmonger
Inky monkey

portfolio
Michael Fitzhywel
2d and 3d artist
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for the feedback and I get what you mean with the jaw. As for the pictures its a little of both, they are random people but ones she thinks and thus have passing similarity with wonderland characters

reply share thread