artMagic

portfolio
Jeremy Berkeley
3D Artist
Zero Limit Studios
Belmont, Trinidad%2Band%2BTobago

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancerobot
I wonder if complaining does any good as far as getting Adobe to change its mind.

Hey, there's a lot of programmers here, and a lot of artists, and a lot of programmer artists. Why can't we do something productive and make our own suite of tools?

I've never made an image editing program before, let alone worked on one, but I was thinking... now that Adobe has turned its beloved software into something people grudgingly have to use, maybe theres an opening for a new image and video editing suite?

If Adobe sticks to their guns, I can imagine a whole new organization taking form, derived from artists and programmers in the community who were screwed by Adobe, but who also know what artists look for in such production software.

I like this idea, something to seriously think about.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #587
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

It's not an "if it ain't broken" mentality that keeps some people from upgrading. It's the EA-like release history, whereby they will slap on a thin coat of paint and a half-implemented new feature and call it a day. While not necessarily true of all Adobe products, Photoshop really hasn't done anything revolutionary in a while. Maybe content aware, but that wasn't so much a a game changer as it was a time saver.

If Adobe really wanted to entice new users and lure older ones into upgrading then they need to do more. We're always talking about how Foundry should do a 2D Mari. In fact, we should probably be asking why Adobe hasn't done more to cater to 3D artists and our needs. That "Extended" moniker should mean a bit more imho. I know that 3d artists are only a smaller subset of the whole, but I always found it odd that 3rd party 3d paint apps gained so much popularity without Adobe really trying to stake it's claim on that turf too.

IMO, Adobe's problems are of their own making. At the end of the day, a polished turd is still a turd. Adobe makes fine, stable, & reliable products to be sure, but innovation is so very important in an industry that moves this fast. If you want my buying dollar, you've gotta earn it. A spit polish and a tweaked feature or two doesn't cut it. (You'll especially see this laziness in their Elements line where they'll simply change the GUI color, rearrange the palettes, and still ask you for the same $100 as last year.)

Adobe will surely gain predictable revenue, but I wonder how much damage they'll do to their overall user base - especially at the lower, non-studio end of things. Forgetting about today's users is bad enough. Ignoring tomorrow's... Sickening and self-destructive.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #588
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Adobe's Creative Cloud fails at being a cloud
Sync feature suspended by Adobe FOR TWO WEEKS
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/0..._cloud_problem/

I'm looking forward to the day were a big add agency can't get at their big
'Coke' and 'Adidas' client proofs causing a big kerfuffle and Adobe getting their asses sewed for millions by one large pissed off corporate customer!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #589
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
... Adobe getting their asses sewed ...

Thanks for that visual. Lmao

I think you mean 'sued'. Unless your imagination includes a needle and thread. Which it might.

No judgments. Just sayin'.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #590
Ivan D Young
Expert
Ivan D
Central Fl, USA

OK I saw this on the John Nack blog. Why would you dump half your Stock of your own company if you truly believe that the product you are rolling out is vastly superior to what you currently have?

http://www.insidermonkey.com/inside...antanu/1224154/

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2013/0...ghts-on-cc.html

Maybe I am missing something?

One of my co-workers believes Adobe is trying to destroy their company so that they can be bought out. I do not know? But it definately makes me think something is crazy here. I really do not have a clue what is with this company anymore?

It is like Adobe is wanting to commit suicide as a corporation, at least to me. They do not seem to care one way or the other about this situation or anyway to resolve any of the issues brought up by the cloud. It is their choice by the way, but it is still strange way to conduct business.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #591
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread