AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG
Neil, the interface seems cluttered but it's all fully customizable trays with tools in them. Once you learn what you need and what you don't you can dump the other stuff clearing up the UI. It's all gonna work out once you get over the intimidation of seeing all those tools everywhere, everyone does.

The other thing is, if you're only concerned with modeling, as opposed to painting or 2.5D painting, you really only need a fraction of the tools that in there.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #47
Andy1010
Expert

portfolio
Andy Blondin
Art Director
Los Angeles, USA

I've grown to appreciate C4D modeling tools set. One thing that bugs me to no end is not being able to select thru parent objects, such as hypernurbs, or symmetry objects. I'd rather see these as tags. I like Maya a Modo quick key to just select any poly and toggle the sub-d's.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Max's modeling. Very powerful modifiers, pattern selections, ect.

I also loved Silo's customizable nature to build so many commands into the mouse. For a modeler this is really important and I miss those features.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #48
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1010
One thing that bugs me to no end is not being able to select thru parent objects, such as hypernurbs, or symmetry objects..

These are generator object, so in essence you select the new geometry.
But I agree, I'd love to have at least the Hypernurbs as a tag or object property.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #49
Anadin
Will work for food...
Andrei Nadin
Australia

You can press Q to toggle the hypernurbs on and off also, I use the command/ctrl+right click same as Photoshop layers which is quite good
www.trickstargames.com

Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #50
Decade
Expert

Graeme McDougall
London, GB

I think in some cases the shift + right click selection list will reveal the child mesh too, though not for all objects.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #51
Neil V
Expert
Neil John Vaughan
Creative Director
ENVY
Worcester, United Kingdom

Thanks PhoenixCG. I looked at the interface and thought 'jeez, where do I start?' but then most software of any complexity is like that anyway. I remember taking a look at Maya and feeling the same way. Having said that, it's not just the amount of tools within ZBrush; I find the workflow a bit errr... 'odd'. I can't put my finger on it. Just different I suppose. Intimidation is the right word so I just need to bite the bullet, knuckle down and spend a weekend getting accustomed to it. I'm usre i will come back soon and be singing its praises. I hope ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG
Neil, the interface seems cluttered but it's all fully customizable trays with tools in them. Once you learn what you need and what you don't you can dump the other stuff clearing up the UI. It's all gonna work out once you get over the intimidation of seeing all those tools everywhere, everyone does.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #52
Neil V
Expert
Neil John Vaughan
Creative Director
ENVY
Worcester, United Kingdom

To be honest, it's the painting I'm interested in too so I'm aware I have a lot of tools to learn. But hey, learning is fun. If it wasn't I'd be a traffic warden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
The other thing is, if you're only concerned with modeling, as opposed to painting or 2.5D painting, you really only need a fraction of the tools that in there.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #53
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread