Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Orange Peel Productions, Inc.
Toledo, USA

Speed controller

Hello,

I have a rig, as seen below, and I am trying to use the center lever to work as a variable controller for the spinning ring on the left based on the rotating ring on the right. My current expresso setup is sort of working, but I am getting backwards rotation and very fast rotation where I really need forward rotation.

Any ideas on a better approach? I'm sure there is some easy way to do this, but I'm not a math or xpresso wizard

I should note that the lever at 0º is the far right and 10º is far left and 5º should be equal speed rotation.

Preview animation of xpresso setup above

Thank you,

Ryan

Last edited by gdogfunk : 03-24-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
douwe
Know-it-All

portfolio
douwe
Brussels, Belgium

Set the Outputs of the Range Mapper to Values between 0.5(or 50%) and 1.5(or 150%)

This results in:
at clevis center: speedB = 1*speedA = 100%
at clevis 0 : speedB = 0.5*speedA = 50%
at clevis 10 : speedB = 1.5*speedA = 150%

right ?

cheers
d

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Toledo, USA

That is what I am after, yes! But when I try to change the output values as you suggest, I either get no motion until a later keyframe or very very slow motion all around. In addition, the animation from 10 back to 0 is making the output rotate backwards still. In your suggestion, what would the Output Range be set to?

And is simply multiplying the input speed with the range mapper output going to get me the result I am after?

Thank you!

Ryan

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Toledo, USA

Ok, this is the result of what I believe you were suggesting. It's close, but I'm not sure why it reverses or speeds up considerably going from 0-5º. Any thoughts?

Not sure if it helps, but here's the keyframes for rotation:

Preview clip2

I really appreciate the help!

Ryan

Last edited by gdogfunk : 03-25-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Toledo, USA

Upon further examination, it appears that any keyed rotational value lowering from 10 (or any number) causes a reverse rotation. Is there a way to have additive rotation in a case like this? As in the calculation won't care if the degree value is decreasing and continue to rotate, but just slow down? The range mapper output is showing correctly in a result node, so I am seeing .5 through 1.5 and 1 where I should. I'm not sure why the math is multiplying a lower number as a negative or at least causing negative rotation. Ah, so close!!

-Ryan

Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

The reverse rtotation might be a stroboscopic effect. Are you aware the all rotational values inside of Xpresso, COFFEE and Python are radians, not degree? Only in cases like the Range Mapper where you can switch the display to degree you can use 0°-360° values, everywhere else you need to use 0-2PI

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

---------------------------

Last edited by littledevil : 03-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
gdogfunk
Expert

Ryan Mininger
Toledo, USA

Thanks everyone. I figured it out. I guess I needed to ask the right question to get the right answer. I was looking for a constant rotation with speed control and the 'wheel_setup.c4d' linked in this thread was exactly what I needed:

wheel_setup.c4d

Since I essentially have two wheels in my setup, I was able to setup a speed control for both wheels, change the slider ranges and match them for my 'neutral' position. Then I range mapped the output slider to the center 'clevis' lever and that now rotates correctly when I animate the output slider. The output wheel now speeds up and slows down correctly!

The wheel solution is actually rather simple looking at it now. Funny how it's easy to over think a problem.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread