Xref performance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Xref performance

Hi,

I know Maxon made some improvements and bug fixes in the latest update regarding Xrefs. But, I'm still thinking it's extremely slow.

I have an assembly file which refers to 3 other files using Xrefs. The other files are, 318MB, 100MB and 50MB. If I open this assembly file it takes forever to open,. I mean over 15 minutes.

The individual files though, if I open let's say the largest one, that only takes around 15 seconds. What is going on here? Is there something I can do to optimize it? some setting or something regarding Xrefs? Or is there something Maxon still has to do about this?

Best regards

- Björn

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by bjorn.syse: Hi,

I know Maxon made some improvements and bug fixes in the latest update regarding Xrefs. But, I'm still thinking it's extremely slow.

I have an assembly file which refers to 3 other files using Xrefs. The other files are, 318MB, 100MB and 50MB. If I open this assembly file it takes forever to open,. I mean over 15 minutes.

The individual files though, if I open let's say the largest one, that only takes around 15 seconds. What is going on here? Is there something I can do to optimize it? some setting or something regarding Xrefs? Or is there something Maxon still has to do about this?

Best regards

- Björn

you can report it to maxon as a bug.

04 April 2012
Hi,

Yep, I've done that. It's bad they don't have an official forum,. makes stuff like this so much easier to communicate.

- Björn

04 April 2012
My Xref setup

Hi,

This is the Xref setup I have, and how large the files are and their respective load time.

Also, in the top level, the Turntable scene file, I have triplets of all my materials, since they are referenced in from three different files all included in the assembly. Is this by design/normal?

Am I doing this wisely,. is this the way xrefs are supposed to work? I can't understand why the load time would increase so much, when the combined time of loading all the files themselfes is not that big.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Best regards

- Björn

04 April 2012
What exactly is making for the large file sizes, complex geo or lots of objects? I'm going to suspect that your loading lots of objects in each scene. Keep in mind that xrefs now have to store a lot of data into the scene to maintain those xrefs and check against the xrefs. While you may simply be loading a file fast, loading an xref has to check for the overrides you've made on top of the xref, any animation and tweaks etc. You may not have done any actual tweaking but it still stores a list of information to note that no changes are made so that is a lot of extra data and checking that needs to be done and it can really add up in complex scenes. The fact that you are doing nested xrefs, xref inside an xref inside an xref escalates this more and more.

04 April 2012
Hi

Yes, you're right, I think it's a case of many objects rather than polygons. Or perhaps a combination. How can I check both number of objects and polygon count?

But OK, if Xref's arent fit for this because the way they behave internally. Is there something I can do/change/tweak to avoid this? waiting 15 minutes to open my scene just doesn't cut it for me. Or can I do a different workflow? Perhaps I should just merge in my geometry.

Most important for me is probably to maintain a consistent material library in some way, so I can change a material and have the changes reflect into wherever that material is used. Can that be done in a different way perhaps?

Sorry, many questions here. I'm totally new to C4D, and any help and shared experience is appreciated.

Best regards

- Björn

04 April 2012
Hey, I managed to go through my files and Connected a lot of objects. A Lot. And now I'm down to 30 seconds load time for the assembly file! wonderful!

04 April 2012
Any time you can connect objects instead of having numerous objects in c4d is a good choice, even when not using Xrefs.

04 April 2012
Hello,

Yes, it seem my rendertime went down from 2.30 minutes to 1:30 minutes. Splendid!

04 April 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread