MGAC - 025 - Destructed RTS building

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
MGAC - 025 - Destructed RTS building

Your goal is to model and texture a current gen RTS building in a destructed state.

The building can show up only slight damage it recieved recently or it can also be a ruin for a long time - it is totally up to you. You can also choose any era you want - stoneage to sci fi - realistic or stylised.
However even if you go for a stylised look your supposed to make the destruction look believable and ideally you should still be able to recognize what kind of building it used to be (i.e. military, a farm, factory etc.)

Limits:

2500 triangles
512 texture (normal and specular maps are allowed -> 3x 512)

Challange ends Tuesday 26th of September at 11:00 PM
CEST (Central European Summer Time) (GMT +2h)

If there's no interest in the topic - I'm totally open to suggestions!

I chose this topic since it used to bother me for a long time that gameartists seemed to pay very little attention to damaged building models in RTS games. In many games they just applied some flames and sometimes another texture to the model, which often didn't make any sense. It became better in the last few years, nowadays games like AoEIII even use physics to simulate destruction on buildings, however
this doesn't necessarily make destruction look more believable.
Why RTS again - well simply because it'd be quite hard to do any current gen FPS stuff in a week apart from simple props.

Here're some references:

Warcraft 3

Age of Empires 3
Age of Empires 3

Codename Panzers (link removed - hotlinking doesn't work here anymore)
Codename Panzers
(link removed - hotlinking doesn't work here anymore)
Codename Panzers (personal reference for the poly-limit of the challange)

Company of Heroes

Last edited by B.T. : 09 September 2006 at 05:29 AM.

09 September 2006
wewt, finally something I have an idea for

09 September 2006
Im in, sounds like fun, would be cool to make a building that goes with the last comp we had.

09 September 2006
I was thinking the same topic. Good call!

09 September 2006
I like this.

I did a very quick sketch to give me some ideas.

I see a lot more in this drawing than you do :P but just wanted to show the idea. It's a bombed 1930s building. Think I'll have to do flat windows because of the tri count :( the rubble needs triangles but ok its only for RTS.

Last edited by braincell84 : 09 September 2006 at 10:04 PM.

09 September 2006
naw, you could get away w/ 3d windows or at least normal mapped windows. Concept is rough but certainly sells the idea. I should get on one as well

09 September 2006
Awesome idea! I think I will try to enter this one. I'm thinking possibly something like the archery range from AOE2. Hopefully I can get this done in time.

P.s. I get a hotlink warning for the pc game special panzer links.

09 September 2006
cool i might do this! 2500 tris though is that what games like aoe3 use on their buildings?

09 September 2006
So far, here's what I did:

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by psychojohno: cool i might do this! 2500 tris though is that what games like aoe3 use on their buildings?

no I think polycounts in AoE III are lower, but as you can see on this screenshot it's quite ok for a current gen RTS - keep in mind that Codename Panzers (screenshot is from the making of website) is already almost 2 or 3 years old. I guess games like Company of Heroes are using much higher polycounts than that!

You also don't HAVE to use the whole budget - if you can achieve a good result with 500 tris it's even better

09 September 2006
I think 2500 would be ok for most games today, maybe 3000+ if there arent that many buildings. I think AOE3 uses very low poly counts because of the physics. Each building needs to be able to collapse and because of this it has to be simple so that the physics engine doesnt go mad with calculating a single building falling down and reducing the FPS to 5. That's just a guess.

Anyway, I'm going back to drawing some polys...

Oh and I have a question regarding the competition: Is it ok for me to add some fire/smoke particles on the building? If each particle counts like using one triangle then I won't do it, but I just thought it'd be cool for the sake of presentation.

Last edited by braincell84 : 09 September 2006 at 01:59 PM.

09 September 2006
particles are allowed as long as you don't go overboard with it. What I mean is - the challange is still about modelling and texturing, so some nice fire particles are fine, but you won't win the challange presenting nothing but a bonfire (particles don't have an effect on your triangle budget - you can still use 2500)

09 September 2006
Sounds good, I'm in

Think I'm gonna make a dis-used/abandoned petrol station, and try and get it really dirty and in dis-repair and looking as though it hasn't seen any life for a good number of years. I guess most of my destruction will be on a more cosmetic level, ie flaking paint, parts of the wall falling off, smashed windows etc rather than it being just a pile of rubble.

I'll make a start tomorrow, so hopefully will have something to show then.

09 September 2006
A WW2-era bombed out church. Modeling is done, UVW just needs a few tweaks. Textures tomorrow.

09 September 2006
Some good looking stuff so far

Here's the layout for mine. I decided to go with a Minoan theme. It's based of the palace of Knossos, which I've been lucky enough to have seen. I found two interesting parts and grouped them together in a formation not unlike the archery ranges from AOE2 Hopefully I'll have time to work on it, work is quite busy at the moment.

Thread Closed share thread