Character WIP:Spawn

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
Character WIP:Spawn

I haven't really had the chance to post anything recently because of the level of work i've been getting lately. So here's my most recent project, Spawn. I'm using a variety of mcfarlane.com reference, most noticably "Spawn Series 32:Adventures of Spawn 2".
So yea, tear 'em up...because i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get beat up good over this one, haha.

The basic body structure is from the 32 series, the skulls are from series 1 but thickened up/enlarged to match the 32 series, as with the chains they are taken from the series 3 repaint and again, modified to match the 32 series style. As for the cape and collar i'm going to attempt to modify series 17 to the series 32 style.
There's quite a bit more work to go, but i'd love to hear what you guys think so far.

The reference images. There's alot.

Last edited by Slythis : 11 November 2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: additional information

11 November 2007
Lookin great. A nice clean base mesh. Great character, that popped collar is isane lol.

11 November 2007
wow thats awesome. i am a big fan of the animated spawn figures. love the style. here was my attempt. the shoulders a real tricky spot. and i haven't gotten to the cape yet...

hope to see more of what you come up with!

11 November 2007
Try repositioning the shoulders/arms for a bind pose, i found it significantly easier to attach them that way, plus you can insert your edge loops for deformation that way with ease

11 November 2007
Overall the modelling is done, a few small tweaks here and there and i'll call him finished for this section, then its on to UV mapping.

11 November 2007
looks good, the only thing i'd say is make his left foot and ankle area larger

11 November 2007
agreed, thats one of the areas i'm tweakin'!

thanks!

11 November 2007
sooo...how do I rig a cape without using cloth effects?
Anyone with any good ideas?...cuz i'm not a setup artist...heh

11 November 2007
Okey dokey!
Sculpt is overall complete, working on UV mapping now, put it in kinda a neat pose to spice it up a bit. Well the cape and chains at least...
more soon

11 November 2007
have you tryed a spline ik setup for the cape or chains? in cinema 4d we have the hair module or clothide that would cover both and are fairly easy to set-up. google spline ik or dynamic ik for your software, that should find you something.

great job on spawn, i'm jelious!

11 November 2007
Thanks friend, I will look into those! For now its texturing time though....wheeee!

11 November 2007
hi there..
really nice.

some things i have in mind:

i think in the last pic, where i can see the palm of the hand..i think the fingers are to thin and long, which make them look fregile and weak...and for a guy like spawn you need big juicy fingers =)

i think the chains are a bit too big, thou it could be cool if youll make them shorter!

cant wait to see more!

Dan

11 November 2007
some slow progress, taking my time making sure there's no stretching n such

11 November 2007
I like it
but, I think you should put it in kinda brutal pose

11 November 2007
oh yes, that will come, gotta get him textured all nice nice before I get to pose him though!

DanTso: Hey hey, just saw your post from awhile back, I agree about the hands, I do have to make those fingers thicker, didn't even occur to me till I just looked at the pic, thanks!
The chains however I think i'm going to leave, they're Spawn's key weapon so I wanted them a bit standout-ish, size seemed to be the best way to do that, seeing as a chain texture isn't going to really make them pop to much. I will try a smaller version though and see how I feel about it in comparison! I really appreciate the feedback and thanks again!

Last edited by Slythis : 11 November 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Thread Closed share thread