CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

There is no gain without pain, now get cracking and no slacking.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink

ahmedadel0077, from your side info:

Your join date is 2008. You are freelancing in Egypt. Your number of post is 320.

Are you burning out? I know the advancement of tools can easily make your prior knowledge moot. New students can easily make what oldskool require few hours to do.

Its like being a programmer old enough to remember (and labour on) punch card, assembly, and other things. And due to hardware upgrade and programming language maturity, new graduates can (to a certain limit) do what is hard previously. There are also market changes.

Before Doom, all game programmers are hard core math genius and coder. But Doom is the start of licensing world, with Strife being the first game to license Doom engine (afaik). UDK in the early days allow artist without much programming experience to actually develop racing game (from the book Game Development Architectures).

And 4th GL language and all.

The same thing can be said with CG, I guess. And may I ask, is your question related to what happening in CG? As in the work went to whoever can do the job cheaper. Is that also happening in Egypt, may I ask? Are you losing freelancing jobs and new jobs are hard to come by?

If it harder to make a living and you are nearing burnout (probably since you are talking about pain and worthiness). Maybe its time to thrown in the towel.

How old are you? What is your hobby? Can you monitize your hobby? For example someone said that you cannot make a living skiing, but you can still be ski instructor.

The reason I'm asking you is that CG for me is a hobby, and currently I'm looking into translating jobs (I do have a certificate in). I also have basic Oracle certificate (database), although currently I'm looking into other plans while finishing my part time study.

I think CG is fun, however I'll keep my own 'buts' to myself for now, not burning bridges and loose lips sink ships and all.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #18
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Trust me, burnout is a dangerous things. You could easily be in the 'undead' state. Not willing to commit suicide, not willing to actually live.

And I know the amount of training available helps speed up the competitions in the field. There are a saying a week in library saves a year in research or something. Previously you might have to learn things on your own (specially you are in Egypt), and to know cool tips require you to actually work at awesome places. These day you can buy training to get tips from ex-awesome studios animator. For those who willing to put the time, this indeed level the playing field.

And I know its hard to ask for good pay if newbies can almost do the same thing that you do.

There is a thread at Luxology/Modo about how its rigging/animating is on Pixar level (at least that what they said) and there are Pixar(?) guy doing a rigging training, which I hope cover upcoming 701. And also a person that works on Up, Brave and all is writing a modelling and topology book.

Imagine that, a newbie coming out of school with such knowledge and such tools.

So, uh, take it for what is it. I hope I answer your questions.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

wrong post sorry

Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
ahmedadel0077, from your side info:

Your join date is 2008. You are freelancing in Egypt. Your number of post is 320.

Are you burning out? I know the advancement of tools can easily make your prior knowledge moot. New students can easily make what oldskool require few hours to do.

Its like being a programmer old enough to remember (and labour on) punch card, assembly, and other things. And due to hardware upgrade and programming language maturity, new graduates can (to a certain limit) do what is hard previously. There are also market changes.

. . . .

Not only punch cards, but knowing the Hollerith Code by heart, using flowcharts, programming in COBOL, Fortran IV

back to the topic.
to the original poster, it sounds like a crisis of confidence , somewhat hard to tell by the cryptic post. You are the only one who can make the determine if it is worth it.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #21
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

OP hasn't posted since the thread was opened, or shown up in the viewers list the couple times I checked it.
Maybe let it wither and die in peace?

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Zarathustra
Some old guy

portfolio
Dave Mauriello
Artist, Educator
Wilmington, USA

I guess he felt it wasn't worth it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread