Offroad '46 Dodge Power Wagon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Offroad '46 Dodge Power Wagon

Hi all,

This is my first post on CG society! I love this forum!
Anyways a little bit about myself, I am 18 years old, I just graduated High School. I want to be a professional modeller/texturer. So if anybody has tips or advice on anything, about the mesh, or rendering, getting into the industry let me know

So this WIP is a 1946 Dodge Power Wagon. It's a classic. I did this vehicle because I love how the design looks soft but rugged. I feel this truck is a off road icon as well. I also did it because it does look extremely cool Also this truck had a "swivel frame " option. Where the frame can pivot "well it seems" 30 degrees in either direction.

Quote: The Dodge Power Wagon was introduced in 1946. It was originally meant to compete with Ford/Marmon-Herrington 44 military trucks such as the Brushbreaker, as well as Military GMC truck applications, but it was the first to be offered directly to the civilian population. It was based on the 3/4-ton army truck's chassis with a civilian cab and a purpose designed 8-foot cargo box. It had a 126 inch (3,200 mm) wheelbase chassis and featured the 230 cubic-inch flat head six engine, a two-speed transfer case, a 4-speed manual transmission with a power take off opening which would send power to the front and back of the truck for operating auxiliary equipment and 9.00/16-8 ply tires on 166.50 inch 5-stud wheels - (From wikipedia)

07 July 2013
Hey man,

Welcome to the forums! Your model looks pretty good! Could you maybe post a few wireframes? I see a few areas that could use some sharpening up, but I would need to see some wires to offer any advice.

-AJ

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

Welcome to the forums! Your model looks pretty good! Could you maybe post a few wireframes? I see a few areas that could use some sharpening up, but I would need to see some wires to offer any advice.

-AJ

Thanks AJ! I got some wires fresh off of the CPU. Actually I had a heck of a time trying to get a wire render in cycles, they didn't have a built in option. So I resorted to a custom add on made by "liero". To be honest it turned out better then I expected.

Anyways, Constructive criticism is always apriciated

07 July 2013
I decided to take a break from modeling the interior and made some new body materials for it. So, I feel the car paint material is still missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

Also any ideas creating a tire rubber material?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgepwoerwagon new material.jpg (49.4 KB, 28 views)

07 July 2013
car paint have two specular. One for the paint and one for the glaze

07 July 2013
details car is very good i like it this model but the textures it need more work , u need add textures not painting , any old paint textures i think is very good idea ok
keep on & good luck

07 July 2013
Ah thanks for the responses!

@Scote I had a separate paint and glaze set up for the truck, but your response made me look into the settings a bit more. I feel like I improved it a bit. But the only way to get it more realistic from here are the bump/spec maps. I did get a new render for you, let me know what you think

@Mr-Evil-studio Ah yes, definitely! I'm going to add the textures and bends to the metal once I need a break from modelling again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgepowerwagon.jpg (96.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Dodge Power wagon interior.jpg (62.4 KB, 14 views)

07 July 2013
Ah ha, new update. I added some more materials. I'm pretty satisfied with the car paint shader but my tire shader needs work. I'm not sure how to make it more realistic. So any tips would be gladly appreciated

07 July 2013
cool work right now
keep on & good luck

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Mr-Evil-studio: cool work right now
keep on & good luck

Thanks! Wait untill you see this render

I spent a TON of time on this render. If anything could be improved I improved it. Also I did a ton of research on lighting/render passes. I also added "Camera artifacts" such as noise and lens distortion.
Anyways let me know what you think!

08 August 2013
I think the carpaint shader needs more fresnel effect - the reflections on faces facing the camera should be IMO weaker. This is mostly visible on the side of the cargo bed, reflecting the fender - I think it's bit distracting.

Another tip would be using gradients for the area lights/reflection cards - try it, it can be a very nice, and easy way to make the reflections more interesting.

Personally, I'd see that truck in more old, matte, drab olive green, not the shiny, showroom-style, modern paint...

Still, nice model, has a lot of potential

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by azazel: I think the carpaint shader needs more fresnel effect - the reflections on faces facing the camera should be IMO weaker. This is mostly visible on the side of the cargo bed, reflecting the fender - I think it's bit distracting.

Another tip would be using gradients for the area lights/reflection cards - try it, it can be a very nice, and easy way to make the reflections more interesting.

Personally, I'd see that truck in more old, matte, drab olive green, not the shiny, showroom-style, modern paint...

Still, nice model, has a lot of potential

Thanks for taking the time to reply I love your ideas! Thanks for pointing out the Fresnel effect, now that I look at it, it does seem a bit odd. Also I've never tried the gradients idea, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go
I like your idea on the old rustic paint. I'm going to try that in the next render

08 August 2013
The gradient trick is just a shortcut to emulate the real world effect, which happens when those big softboxes are illuminated unevenly:

http://www.shutterlit.com/wp-conten.../19-700x467.jpg
http://www.calvertstudios.com/hire-...aphy-studio.jpg
http://www.izmostudio.eu/wp-content...=490&zc=1&q=100
http://www.izmostock.com/wp-content...tock_hadise.jpg

Vray even has a map called softbox, or something similar, for that very purpose.

08 August 2013
Ah yes, I see what you mean. There is so much to lighting it's crazy. I see what you mean by the soft boxes. It would give the truck a much less of a CG feel to it.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread