Solution to mapped planes and transparency order

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Smile Solution to mapped planes and transparency order

Hi all,

I've looked up and down for a solution to this and I just wanted people to know I found it.

People seem to think that Maya has a transparency order problem and people switching from Max to Maya or new Maya users building assets for a game may not realize that it's not a transparency sorting order problem at all.

What I mean is, when you set up a bunch of planes with alpha textures on them, sometimes you'll find out that they show through forground objects when they are in the background. Or they will cut other mapped planes off in the viewport. It looks fine when it renders but it's a mess in the viewport.

It's just backface culling. You need to turn it on(off?) by going to the top of Maya window and go to Display>Polygons>click Backface Culling. What happens is that you have rotated your plane backwards and it's showing the wrong way. Using the method above makes it 2 sided basically.

You wouldn't believe how many Creative Cow and some CGS forums, Creative Crash and many others without a solution.

I felt the need to make a thread because of headaches with the client not understanding why my playblasts are junky and chunky and the wasted time I've spent trying to find a solution.

Thanks. I hope I've contributed something.

06 June 2013
In the standard Viewport there have always been sorting errors with transparent geometry, which is the nature of things. Game Engines suffer the same problem, when using non-clipped alpha based transparency without hacks and tricks. Since Maya 2013, viewport 2.0 offers an advanced sorting algorythm, which deals with this problem (depth peeling)

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread