Creating a Pile of Sugar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
A few months ago, the PhysX SDK had a limit of 65536 rigidbodies, due to some internal counter being an unsigned short data type. Going higher wouldn't result in a crash, but collisions would start to be missed. That was recently fixed. If you plan to go higher with mParticles you'll have to wait until they rebuild the official plugin with the latest PhysX SDK.

3 Weeks Ago
Mparticles seems to be doing the job.What is the scaling object under the particles? Is it a deflector or what?

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: Mparticles seems to be doing the job.What is the scaling object under the particles? Is it a deflector or what?
well it's not scaling...just moving up.....think about it.....if you see a mountain of sugar cubes do you really need to have the actual 2 trillion cubes 'internally' that can never be seen ?

If you WANT to crash your machine with 2 trillion cubes...well that's one way to work I guess....just not mine....

Just set the friction on that object (collider) to 9999 so whatever it touches, it sticks...

3 Weeks Ago
Quote: Originally Posted byivanisavich:A few months ago, the PhysX SDK had a limit of 65536 rigidbodies, due to some internal counter being an unsigned short data type. Going higher wouldn't result in a crash, but collisions would start to be missed. That was recently fixed. If you plan to go higher with mParticles you'll have to wait until they rebuild the official plugin with the latest PhysX SDK.

Ugh... dreadful 16-bit limitation (like the cache op memory cap, mostly fixed apart from the UI). It has been there since the beginning, I dont think Oleg worried about it much simply because one PhysX limitation in 2.8x and none of us could get more than 40k particles to do anything in a meaningful amount of time. PhysX 3.x has been out forever (like 6 years), it has so much more in it by comparison, since max is part of the auto desk juggernaut we have to wait our turn to get any improvement, and sadly who knows when that well be.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: Ugh... dreadful 16-bit limitation (like the cache op memory cap, mostly fixed apart from the UI). It has been there since the beginning, I dont think Oleg worried about it much simply because one PhysX limitation in 2.8x and none of us could get more than 40k particles to do anything in a meaningful amount of time. PhysX 3.x has been out forever (like 6 years), it has so much more in it by comparison, since max is part of the auto desk juggernaut we have to wait our turn to get any improvement, and sadly who knows when that well be.
and although you can download the physX 3.x 3ds max plugin from Nvidia, it breaks some things altogether. It also messes up the UI when you uninstall it as it overwrites the massFX bit and doesn't undo the changes it made.

3 Weeks Ago
No thanks Sorry but MassFX in itself is well not so great. It was a not nearly mature enough replacement for the aging Reactor. That type of physics environment is antiquated for anything but the simplest of simulations. Rayfire is the only tool built on top of it that is worth using, a solid performer, it simplifies all the ridiculously repetitive processes and gives you a decent interface to control all of the objects, sim props, caching, fragging, ect.

Sadly, I am done dealing with those nVidia plugin headaches, to much time wasted in my life! Besides that IMHO soft and hard body multi object sims are always more easily achieved in a node based event or rule driven particle environment. Way more procedural, way easier to iterate, multi level dynamic caching, much less grey hair inducing, ect.

To bad Realflow doesn't do rentals anymore. Their granular solver is pretty wicked easy to use.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: Sadly, I am done dealing with those nVidia plugin headaches, to much time wasted in my life!

You're switching to Houdini? :P

Joke aside, I've seen a lots of great vfx artist switched to Houdini. I've never tried it myself, but from what I see, it surpasses even Realflow,.

3 Weeks Ago
Well Realflow is a three trick pony, Houdini is an effects suite and more. Honestly all the money I have spent on plugins, maintenance and 3rd party apps I could have bought an maintained a license of Houdini FX/Master, and at least in my mind I would be pretty proficient at it by now BUT Houdini indie gets opened every once in a while, just to remind me of what I could have spent the last 20 years learning/using.

For all its many faults I still love using max (for the most part).

reply share thread