Benefits of Workstation Level Computer with Corel Painter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2016
Benefits of Workstation Level Computer with Corel Painter

I am learning Corel Painter 2017 and currently have only a novice level of skill with it. One of the problems I have encountered is that it bogs down considerably when doing real watercolor and real oil with a canvas of about 16" X 23" at 300 dpi, which is the size I usually work on in Photoshop. I have seen a tutorial that suggests working on a smaller/lower resolution canvas and then upsizing/uprerezzing at print time.I don't believe that this is a good idea because the upsized/uprezzed canvas will be degraded. I want the output to be professional level.

So I am considering upgrading my computer. Currently I have an Intel Core i7-4930k processor with 32 gbs of Ram.

My questions are:

(1) If I upgrade to a workstation with a multicore processor (say 10x) and 64 gbs of ram, will that eliminate the computer's choking with real watercolor/oils?

(2) If not, how far upscale in computer power do I need to go to resolve the problems I am having with Corel Painter? Or is there currently no solution to this problem?

Mike

08 August 2016
Input?

Does anyone have any contributions to make regarding this issue?

09 September 2016
hey,

i do not have experience with corel painter but generally speaking having lots of cores will not benefit you for most tasks outside rendering. there's a limit to how well operations can be split up across CPU cores and it's usually fairly low (2-4 tops) for semi-interactive tasks - assuming they can even be multi-threaded.

it sounds like best for your application would be the fastest i7 4-core (8 virtual cores) CPU your budget can stretch to.

have a look at benchmarks to see by how much faster these CPU's are for a single thread compared to what you use now to have an idea how much better corel might run. top end should be models with about 4 ghz right now.

09 September 2016
Thanks

Thomas,

I appreciate your comments. They are very helpful.

I hope others with experience on this issue will also comment.

Mike

09 September 2016
Corel oils are slow and clunky, to get around that- prominent artists (Micheal Kutsche/ only guy I can think of atm) use the chalk brush with the blender and his results tend to look polished.

reply share thread