Setup for a large print?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2016
Setup for a large print?

Hello!

I'm about to paint a digital work in PS that should be printed at 2 meters by 2,5 meters. I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with the optimal setup for a project like this? its supposed to work like a large scale painting and lose as little resolution as possible.

How would you work on it? Starting a 2x2,5 meter in 300 dpi file will most probably not work on my mac. specs:
3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 MB

Would really appreciate the help

Thanks

02 February 2016
If it's being printed that large, then there's every chance that it won't actually be printed at 300dpi. Plus most assets in large format printing get scaled up at some point in the process - it's pretty rare to have photography at the scale 'required' for say, a billboard.

With that in mind, you should be able to get away with a much smaller file that the specs Photoshop would give you with those settings. If I were you, I'd try working on something like 10k by 9k and see how your system handles it. If it struggles, you could drop it down to 8k on the longest edge.

Depending on your style, you might also find you can work smaller, blow it up and tidy up some regions. It's not ideal but it can be quicker than trying to create a super large artwork from scratch.

02 February 2016
Thanks AJ!
Yes i imagined it won't be 300dpi at that scale. I believe that dimensions you mentioned will work (we're talking pixels, of course, right?).
do you have any actual experience with large format printing?
thanks a lot!

02 February 2016
Originally Posted by Sugarmensch: do you have any actual experience with large format printing?
Yes

While I work 99% in 3D, practically all of my professional work is for large format reproduction.

02 February 2016
I can ask the chap who's done my wrapping on the van for painters and decorators in London.
What ever option he's used it came out pretty good.

02 February 2016
I'll appreciate all the information i can get!
Thanks

02 February 2016
For car and van graphics, 240ppi is more than sufficient.

reply share thread