Human Rig DVD (your thoughts?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by AVTPro: Hey Mike,

Something I didn't address that Tom mention in the first post, bout the programmer being abreast in the tools. Actually, I don't mind that they arent. It would be great if we had a CA/programmer but still I don't think it's necessary. I do think Tomas will be a big help for development, but I never felt Matt had to be a CA person because rigging is an art form by itself. Making constraints and structuring them in the kinesiology of a character are too completely different things. Just like I don't have to know how to program constraints to use them.

Anyway, I think I will toot my own horn. When EI users have problems with the rigs and sent it to EI for troubleshooting, He often sends it to me anyhow.
I usually fix up by hand or advice them. It not usually an EI problem. It's user unfamiliarity. So it's a good opportunity to sell them my rig DVD. I
Some users have given me thank you donations if it's a lot of work.

I'd say you are a major asset to the EI community with your tutorials Alonzo! no need to tute your horn my way
so, is this rig by Julian Love public? I'd really like to take a look at it, and I dont remember it being on any of the EI discs over the years?

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by 3DArtZ: I'd say you are a major asset to the EI community with your tutorials Alonzo! no need to tute your horn my way
so, is this rig by Julian Love public? I'd really like to take a look at it, and I dont remember it being on any of the EI discs over the years?

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

Thanks. It use to be on my site, and it has been on EI CD for years. I don't think the skinning works because of the FBX or upgrades.

The salesman man rig is very similar. BTW, the Deformer DVD is still selling and shipping to UK today. Thanks.

I will post Mr. Willis when I come across it.

06 June 2009
Alonzo, dont worry about posting it for me, I found the Mr.Willis file on one of my old ei cds (version 5).

Not exactly what I was expecting to see.... but still informative!

06 June 2009
Right. Poor Mr. Willis, he gets no shine or promo and he's been a great resource for years.

I remember looking at Disney's Dinosaur BTS featurette years ago, during an EI beta cycle and wondering what those Icon Control were in the SoftImage rig of the Dinos.

I requested that EI add them to their rigging tools. Little did I know that they were animation controls. Then i saw Julian Mr. Willis a couple of days later. It was an revelation

So what were you expecting to see from the project? Anything I can add to my new DVD?

06 June 2009
Well, Im not sure exactly what I wanted from the Mr.Willis, other then to see something that I had not thought of myself.

The animation control icons dont really make things ezier in EI for CA, other then to make it look somewhat in synch with industry standards.

But Alonzo, dont get me wrong. I dont feel as though Im in a position to suggest additions to your CD content. There is one thing that really irks me (about EI), coming from Rigging pefection software such as Animation:master (despite its other many limitations) I cant stand the bone flipping that happens when a total character is rotated in EI 3d space. I suppose you can avoid this by parenting everything to a null that doesnt move.

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by 3DArtZ: Well, Im not sure exactly what I wanted from the Mr.Willis, other then to see something that I had not thought of myself.

The animation control icons dont really make things ezier in EI for CA, other then to make it look somewhat in synch with industry standards.

But Alonzo, dont get me wrong. I dont feel as though Im in a position to suggest additions to your CD content. There is one thing that really irks me (about EI), coming from Rigging pefection software such as Animation:master (despite its other many limitations) I cant stand the bone flipping that happens when a total character is rotated in EI 3d space. I suppose you can avoid this by parenting everything to a null that doesnt move.

Bone flipping doesn't happen in my rigs and I covered it in my Deformer Rig DVD. I cover several solutions but I'm not exactly sure in what instance you are having that problem.

And I agree, animation controls are not as advantageous as they would be in other packages, but that has to do with EI's interface. 10 controls can be put on one controls in say Maya. Also, the way those controls are design is they must be selected from the back. So you need other windows to select them. This design didn't bother me until recently or depending on the animation task. Ramjac had created a package to make this more workable. Kontrolizer. In other packages the control can be assigned to a keystroke or menu item or pick walking. This makes selection easier in Maya.

However, the controller because really great in EI when you load them into the F-Curve Editor. Then color, organization, and access begins to shine in EI. Controller are generally visual cues, they help when looking at the model and the pylon still have a great value in that area.

Still all rig GUI are preference or choice.

06 June 2009
Hey guys, No pre-pays and I have a couple of projects coming up.

So I am what I am going to do is postpone the Human rig to do different smaller tutorial.

It's something I had planned to do anyhow and it would be a good precursor to the other rigs.

I can sell it less expensively as a download only ($35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhszaS8KAg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01r6et2bQSc

BTW, the Deformer DVD is still selling and shipped to the UK last week.

06 June 2009
AVTPro's ReadyRigs: FK Spine DVD

The new FK Spine DVD is compressing now. So it's done. It was a good decision to do the FK spine before a full rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t9QKbj1tvI

Though it's still compiling I don't think the whole DVD is more than 3 hours. Again, this training helps extend your rigging to professional technics and principles. Many user shy a from professional rigging paradigms because of some of the confusing behaviors inherently built in EI bones and algorithms. This DVD rigging best practices for getting a professional job done use for my clients such as PUMA, BMW, Pepsi, Disney, Frank Gehry, IDeaDesign, DWU Studios and so forth and etc.

I'm very proud of the final product. I am so tempted to animate it.
I will post another sample but it's the same as the FK spine Jumping animation I posted.

SPINE ONLY NOT A HUMAN RIG!!
Tails, Spines and Wires.

Good points about the DVD are:

1. Building an Natural "S" Spine.
2. Controlling Smooth Spine deformations (8 bones) with a control skeleton (3 bones)
3. Mastering Icon controls orientations.
4. Clean numerics vs garbage values.
5. Weighting spines.
6. Ubershapes.
7. Color Coding and professional rigging for animators.
8. Iconic GUI vs nondescript bones.

Bonus.

IK Spine.

$65 Download or Mail.

Or Paypal:athreet@adelphia.net
include your address. No shipping free for regular mail.

Alonzo Von Threet
AVTProduction DBA AVTPro

Advanced Visualization Technology Productions.

11 November 2009
Update. Ask for Prices The old prices are void. Pre-Orders are available 2010
I developed an IK spine for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anBuffeR9Fk

The Deformer DVD is selling well, even in Scotland.

Workflow,Color Icons, Seletions set, Hide / Unhide, Interface customization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDMvwWGxZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPPVFH8f2s

Last edited by AVTPro : 11 November 2009 at 06:49 PM.

11 November 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread