Disappointed by Net Render

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Disappointed by Net Render

Before I get into my little tirade, realize that I LOVE Cinema. On to the bad stuff.

As slick as Net Render is, it has a couple of major flaws. Like not reporting what problem it's having when it has one, if it lets you know its having a problem at all. I was missing an environment map that came into play later in the animation and when the clients would encounter this object, they would just stop. The feedback was "Client stopped rendering at..." and that's it. Any client that was rendering without that object in it's scene was fine. Took hours of reinstalling and reconfiguring to figure out the problem when I tried to render a frame in that section in the main Cinema program and Cinema gave me the cause of the error. If the main program can do it, why not Net Render? As powerful as Net render is, this is a huge problem and could be fatal to a project. I'm disappointed that Net Render only got a facelift.

Before this problem, I installed the clients from the modules installer and not the main package installer. When you do this, you have none of the other plugins or modules included that comes with Studio. If you have to install Net Render clients using the full package install, why even have it is a module option?

12 December 2006
in C4D you should always save for netrendereing as "Save as Project" to avoid missing maps and stuff .

BTW., are right, of course.
Netrender is due for an update for years, IMHO, to update it to customers demands.
What is missing too is the ability to render more than one project simultaneaously and to give priorities to the projects (like: render project a with 30% , project B with 50% and leave the rest 20% for teh other projects).

Oliver

12 December 2006
...and it misses to render big stills automaticly (via buckets),
and to view progress within one frame p.e.

cheers
stefan

12 December 2006
The odd thing is I did do Save as Project to the admin folder. I don't know how that map got missed. Even so, better reporting, as well as the other points here, would have been great.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Troyan: The odd thing is I did do Save as Project to the admin folder. I don't know how that map got missed. Even so, better reporting, as well as the other points here, would have been great.

you need to have the preference turned on in the render settings to cancel if texture error.

but if you had a full path to the texture that would stay in your scene file and even if the texture was included in the texture folder - it still would attempt to use the full path that was entered in the texture field. (maya or any other app will fail as well if a full texture path is used on a network render where the needed path is not available)

any missing texture or other error is clearly visible and reported on the NET Render Server web page if you click the project name it goes to a project web page and will list errors. yes i do wish that the NET Render Cleint had a verbose option but it does report errors to the NET Server. (unless environment maps are treated differently then normal texture maps in error reporting - but i've not seen this happen if that is the case)

while NET Server is definately showing it's age and yes pooling would be helpful - it is still a quite good solution, and a very good solution for beginner to small shops compared to the complexity (but also advanced power) of a full comparable render manager solution (but any scriptable render manager and all it's power can be used with the command line verison of net render client too - so sort of a moot issue there)

dann
-

12 December 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread