Maya, LW plug

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2002
Uh....I'm not following you Larry? What question have I been asking you? I haven't asked any questions in my posts. I just posted a personal reason as to why some people feel like you pick out the Messiah and Maya posts. And no I'm sorry, but I don't follow you around on the internet just waiting for you to bring up Messiah. I don't have to. They come up quite often, it's hard not to bump into one on every other thread. I suppose I'm not adding to trying to get this thread back on topic. I probably shouldn't have posted anything at all. I just don't like the fact that when someone happens to have a differing outlook on things then Larry, that person is practically ostracized from the community. So much for freedom of opinion.

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by JohnD
Uh....I'm not following you Larry? What question have I been asking you? I haven't asked any questions in my posts. I just posted a personal reason as to why some people feel like you pick out the Messiah and Maya posts. And no I'm sorry, but I don't follow you around on the internet just waiting for you to bring up Messiah. I don't have to. They come up quite often, it's hard not to bump into one on every other thread. I suppose I'm not adding to trying to get this thread back on topic. I probably shouldn't have posted anything at all. I just don't like the fact that when someone happens to have a differing outlook on things then Larry, that person is practically ostracized from the community. So much for freedom of opinion.

John thats ridiculous. Youve posted before that everywhere you go I post comments against Messiah. That implies that you are taking some kind of poll of what I say here and elsewhere. If you have seen any of my posts I also post positive things about Messiah. Typically if I do say anything about Messiah its nothing against how things are done in messiah but the convoluted workflow of jumping between apps. It doesnt come up THAT often. Its not like I havent tried moving between Lightwave and Messiah or Lightwave and Maya. I PERSONALLY dont like the workflow. Ive never indicated that anyone was evil, stupid or malicious because they choose to do so. Many people have pointed out what they felt are weaknesses in Lightwave which I have disagree with on occassion. Others have stated that they felt Character tools were better in Messiah or Maya then Lightwave. I have disagreed with reasoning that I have carefully explained. I dont think you can disagree that whenever I explain why I dont agree or dont like something I lay out my reasons quite carefully. That said, it seems that you just cant believe my reasons at face value and apparently Fernando as well. Hes posted a very interesting theory which happens to be false. I have never bothered to explain my personal reasons I dont like PMG until now and they have nothing to do with liking or not liking Messiah. You posted this before:
"Larry I'm just curious ( I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really am just curious ). Everytime I see the topic of Messiah brought up, you post similiar responses to it. I do say I agree with you that learning proper rigging in Lightwave would be beneficial to anyone ( I don't own the new version of Messiah, and probably won't because of Tim Albee's book on rigging in Lightwave saved me from having to buy the new Messiah. Sorry, haven't had a chance to check out your cd's ), but it seems like you almost have a personal grudge against Messiah. Is this true?"
I answered your questions countless times. Why should my posts about Messiah change? My opinion hasnt changed. Would it seem more appropriate if I like messiah publically every other day?
You also said I seem to have a person grudge against Messiah. I have explained very carefully and concisely that I have NOTHING against Messiah itself. Check any of my posts carefully. I dont think I say anything against Messiah itself but the fact that many times when Newbies ask if they MUST have messiah to character animate or that theyve heard that Lightwaves character animation tools are bad, I take the time to disagree with those statements and carefully explain why. Most of my posts encourage people to really learn how to rig and animate in Lightwave before deciding to jump right into Messiah. I dont know how to explain it more clearly then that. YOU have interpreted my posts as "having a grudge". I have also very clearly and carefully explained why I dont like PMG as a company. This doesnt mean I like or dislike any of its employees, their software, cars or pets. AS for PMG as a company I dont like how I was treated and, as I stated, Im not the only one who feels that way.
To say that you "suppose" is a huge understatement and I agree that not posting any PERSONAL remarks about others on this thread is probably a good rule of thumb. I think that saying that anyone who disagrees with me is ostracized is a gross exaggeration. I dont have any more "power" in here then anyone else. Ive contributed quite a bit of useful material to this forum and have managed to never personally attack anyone simply because I dont like their posts.
If you REALLY are curious as to my opinions you could have easily emailed me personally instead of doing this publically. What you and Fernando have posted to me here publically is irrelevant and unnecessary not to mention a waste of time for everyone.

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by SplineGod
John thats ridiculous. Youve posted before that everywhere you go I post comments against Messiah. That implies that you are taking some kind of poll of what I say here and elsewhere. ...........

SplineGod,

I directed a comment to you earlier regarding my curiosity about your shooting down of workflows that you disagree with.

In several years of browsing LW forums I have only posted a few times, usually when someone had a Mirai/Maya or related question. Since these are the tools that I have spent all day in for many years, I offered my insight to someone who asked.

Each and every time, I have noticed that you have dismissed my post. I'm sure that you don't even remember.

Until now, I have never really bothered to respond to yours or anyone else's opinions in depth, because I find all the opinionated debate to be boring and unproductive. what's the point? I'm not going to change anyone's mind. I could discuss my film and game experience to further my point, but who cares? It just adds to the muck and mire to sift through to find something interesting that someone has taken their precious time to share.

I find the LW info here very helpful. The links to other apps and plugins are great! The LW community is very generous.

People have indicated that you have a lot of helpful info to offer. Hopefully, this goodwill on your part generates more interst in your training materials. I wonder if all the debate and rebuttal generates as much interest? Maybe more, who knows? Of course as you have stated, you are free to debate or refute anything you want.

Good luck to you Larry.

12 December 2002
I think you all should shut the fvck up and spend your energy and strength with your love ones

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Amphiblien
SplineGod,

I directed a comment to you earlier regarding my curiosity about your shooting down of workflows that you disagree with.

In several years of browsing LW forums I have only posted a few times, usually when someone had a Mirai/Maya or related question. Since these are the tools that I have spent all day in for many years, I offered my insight to someone who asked.

Each and every time, I have noticed that you have dismissed my post. I'm sure that you don't even remember.

Until now, I have never really bothered to respond to yours or anyone else's opinions in depth, because I find all the opinionated debate to be boring and unproductive. what's the point? I'm not going to change anyone's mind. I could discuss my film and game experience to further my point, but who cares? It just adds to the muck and mire to sift through to find something interesting that someone has taken their precious time to share.

I find the LW info here very helpful. The links to other apps and plugins are great! The LW community is very generous.

People have indicated that you have a lot of helpful info to offer. Hopefully, this goodwill on your part generates more interst in your training materials. I wonder if all the debate and rebuttal generates as much interest? Maybe more, who knows? Of course as you have stated, you are free to debate or refute anything you want.

Good luck to you Larry.

Thanks, I agree. My opinions about software and workflow have changed and changed again over the years. I can only comment on things based on my own experiences pretty much like anyone else does. The best information I get from these "discussions" is exposure to other peoples workflow or methodology. I will disagree with what I see as generalizations ie. Lightwave is bad or worse for such and such a thing.Why? Because those sorts of statements are generalizations based on someones personal experience, their particular way of thinking and doing things and how well they know the software. Those 3 things provide plenty of opportunity for the sharing of information as well as debate and disagreements. IF you notice, I dont go onto Maya, Mirai, Max or XSI forums spouting nonsense. Occassionally I do go onto more generic forums dealing with character rigging in general because there are certain principles involved with rigging that are common to all packages. Being asked to why I "shoot down" or disagree with other packages or workflows isnt a fair question simply because I usually dont make a statement without presenting my point of view as clearly as I can. I dont think I ever take it to a personal level just because someone doesnt agree with me.

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Felytendect
Man, I never liked Captain Planet- didn't he have a possť of racially-diversified teens that did all of his bidding so he didn't have to get his hands dirty? It's like he was some kind of blue-skinned flying eco-pimp.

Are you likening Captain Planet's MO to that of Proton's?

p.s. it's a joke.

Last edited by EsteyP : 12 December 2002 at 02:43 PM.

12 December 2002
All right...last post...I swear
Just wanted to apologize for steering this thread way off of topic. That seems to happen quite often when tempers flare and opinions rebound back and forth. I believe my posts would have been better in a political thread or a right vs. left forum. But not for Lightwave, because after all, we are all artists first and foremost. Sorry for wasting eveyones time. I will be more conscious in the future. And sorry for starting a mini WWIII with you Larry. As I said before...you are great at what you do and I have picked up many tips from your past posts...guess sometimes I just need a good nights sleep to clear my head. Okay, back to animating.

12 December 2002
"Are you likening Captain Planet's MO to that of Proton's?"

ouch

I'm going to lose sleep on this one....

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by JohnD
All right...last post...I swear
Just wanted to apologize for steering this thread way off of topic. That seems to happen quite often when tempers flare and opinions rebound back and forth. I believe my posts would have been better in a political thread or a right vs. left forum. But not for Lightwave, because after all, we are all artists first and foremost. Sorry for wasting eveyones time. I will be more conscious in the future. And sorry for starting a mini WWIII with you Larry. As I said before...you are great at what you do and I have picked up many tips from your past posts...guess sometimes I just need a good nights sleep to clear my head. Okay, back to animating.

Thanks John, I apologize as well. When all is said and done and the dust settles...life goes on.

12 December 2002
Spline
whats the most diffuvcult thing in messiah>LW workflow?

Oh, is everything still on for Your copy of messiah.

12 December 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Julez4001
Spline
whats the most diffuvcult thing in messiah>LW workflow?

Oh, is everything still on for Your copy of messiah.

:shame:

Thread Closed share thread