[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Alien: Amazing Collection of model Photos

Hey guys, on the site below you can catch some amazing pictures of the model work done for the classic film ALIEN:

http://recollectionsofalien.com/alien-image-gallery/#
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
bcairns
candy corn inspector

portfolio
Brian Cairns
Senior Character Artist
FireForge Games
Costa Mesa, USA

Wow, this is great! Thanks for sharing! Love stuff like this.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
HAGAN3D
3D Squirrel

portfolio
Jonathan Hagan
3D Squirrel Ltd
United Kingdom

What a find! Thanks for sharing this link. What an amazing collection of images - quite inspirational.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Wow!
I remember seeing this work in the cinema and being amazed at the detail. That coupled with characters that ate, spat and scratched themselves like real people made the film an absolute milestone in scifi flicks.

Thanks for the headsup.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Still one of the most beautiful movies ever made, and my number 1 film of all time.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

For those who haven't seen it, there's also this restoration of the Nostromo ship model done for the PropStore by Grant McCune Studios:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoCsZvYeEQ

There are 3 more parts to this in case that wasn't obvious:

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Last edited by Artbot : 08-28-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

sad to think such an amazing piece of modeling for one of the classic SciFi movies of all time just sat out in the weather, much like the space station of 2001 left abandoned out side. WTF?, this is movie history.

good to see the Nostromo getting restored.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob
sad to think such an amazing piece of modeling for one of the classic SciFi movies of all time just sat out in the weather, much like the space station of 2001 left abandoned out side. WTF?, this is movie history.

good to see the Nostromo getting restored.

I hear tell that storage of used assets (or even current ones) is a big problem. Just like you though I was amazed that could happen to the model. Maybe they didn't count on the film being so iconic.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

On the first STAR TREK movie, Greg Jein's crew chainsawed most of the VGER interior, and was giving away the 'planets' seen in the Spock spacewalk to anybody who happened by.

As far as that goes, I've heard several times that many of the original VFX elements for the movie weren't even taken in by Paramount (as opposed to the way Ridley Scott paid to have the original BLADE RUNNER VFX elements stored so they could be re-utilized decades later), and that Trumbull and Dykstra wound up throwing them away a couple years later when space became an issue. That's in keeping with reports that Kirk's space helmet was seen in a Paramount dumpster in the early 80s (presumably tossed after its reuse by the RELIANT crew in the second movie.)

The drydock model sat in storage for 15 years, and when rediscovered for use in GENERATIONS, the morons who shipped it up to ILM didn't secure it, so on the trip the whole thing fell to pieces, and was only held together by its internal wiring.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
I hear tell that storage of used assets (or even current ones) is a big problem. Just like you though I was amazed that could happen to the model. Maybe they didn't count on the film being so iconic.

The space jockey from ALIEN was set up in front of a movie theater, I think in L.A., and basically got vandalized to death. Man, thinking about all this useless waste would give me Nam flashbacks if I had such memories.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevanian
On the first STAR TREK movie, Greg Jein's crew chainsawed most of the VGER interior, and was giving away the 'planets' seen in the Spock spacewalk to anybody who happened by.

As far as that goes, I've heard several times that many of the original VFX elements for the movie weren't even taken in by Paramount (as opposed to the way Ridley Scott paid to have the original BLADE RUNNER VFX elements stored so they could be re-utilized decades later), and that Trumbull and Dykstra wound up throwing them away a couple years later when space became an issue. That's in keeping with reports that Kirk's space helmet was seen in a Paramount dumpster in the early 80s (presumably tossed after its reuse by the RELIANT crew in the second movie.)

The drydock model sat in storage for 15 years, and when rediscovered for use in GENERATIONS, the morons who shipped it up to ILM didn't secure it, so on the trip the whole thing fell to pieces, and was only held together by its internal wiring.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGH!

What I suspected. That makes makes seeing the pics and the films Artbot put up so much more pleasurable.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
grrinc
Expert

Ten ish years ago, I did a plumbing job for a guy and discovered he hundreds of props and items form the original Star Wars movies. He was a fire attendant at the time and was on set from start to clearing away. People were helping themselves to take items home for there kids and stuff. No one realised it would have such value - a lot of it was being junked.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread