nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

iron man???

there have been lots of iron man movies lately
so i had to do somehting like this

i heard that a good way to get lots of views is to do something thats popular as opposed to your own original work[ATTACH=CONFIG]1796574[/ATTACH]

Old 07-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Well, you have to ask yourself what your motivation is for creating art. What does getting more views actually mean to you? And if people are only clicking on your thread because they think it's related to an IP that they are a fan of, but they don't like the actual image posted, then what?

IMO, you should only do what you are passionate about, and the quality of your work should be the only deciding factor. There are tons of fan art on sites like DeviantArt, and many of them are low-quality hobbyist work. The fact that the fan art are all of famous IP's means nothing, because the work itself is low-quality. If the quality of the work is high, then it doesn't matter what the subject matter is, people will respect and enjoy the work. (Of course, some subject matters are more popular than others, such as attractive female characters.)

Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

Ha ha, I just had a conversation with someone about this

---

yeah your right, working being passionate about it is more important

but even acknowledging that i wish i could get more views on things like blogspot and youtube

however being passionate about the art, that is my primary movitation

---

I don't normally work on popular IPs

feels like I'm kinda stuck on this ... art issue ...
- "how do you become good at doing art stuff like this?"

Only thing I can think of is to keep studying art stuff and practising art stuff and getting feedback and critiques and stuff. but most of the time it feels like I'm not really making any progress. I love art, I have every intention to die with a pencil or stylus or something in my hand and be buried with it. I'm just somewhat frustrated by that one aspect of it. I feel like Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z.

Someone told me that that kind of frustration with your work is not good somehow.

---

This is a good question though; as much as I would like to get more viewers or subscribers on your blog or youtube or deviantart account or whatever what's so special or significant about that? how is that beneficial to you?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson-press
feels like I'm kinda stuck on this ... art issue ...
- "how do you become good at doing art stuff like this?"

Only thing I can think of is to keep studying art stuff and practising art stuff and getting feedback and critiques and stuff. but most of the time it feels like I'm not really making any progress. I love art, I have every intention to die with a pencil or stylus or something in my hand and be buried with it. I'm just somewhat frustrated by that one aspect of it. I feel like Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z.

Someone told me that that kind of frustration with your work is not good somehow.

You should head on over to the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature). It's a subforum here that was created especially for people like you, who are having trouble with their artistic development and need guidance and solutions. We also have a workshop here at CGSociety called "Becoming A Better Artist" that I teach (also linked below in my signature), and its main purpose is to lead frustrated artists who are struggling with their artistic development out of the dark, by showing them how to learn/practice/grow efficiently without wasting years of precious time running around in circles and not seeing much improvement, and also put them through an intense art bootcamp that crams the most critical knowledge, skills, and insights gained from decades of professional experience as a veteran artist into 8 weeks of epic adventure.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Is it still a work-in-progress or is this supposed to be finished?

BTW, I deleted the thread in the Art T&T forum since it's just a duplicate of this one.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

ah, i have an updated version of it
ill see if i can post it later

between survival job and ... well ... life
seems like i dont have time for anything anymore

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

think maybe ill leave it at this
not certain what i should be painting
should i just paint stuff off the top of my head or should i just study lots of stuff and use references and stuff
don't you need both to become better at this?

Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Trying to work out of your head without any references when you haven't learned enough of the foundations, would only slow down your artistic development to a crawl. People who continue to do that often end up stuck at the same level for many years and never improve much. The only way to advance forward is to work on your foundations.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread