Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Question If I'm sending a resume to a company, and they only want word documents..

.. is it a good idea to insert renders into the document? Seems like alot of employers I come across, they only allow word documents for the resumes, but nothing about asking for examples of your work.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to insert my renders in there to kind of force them to see my work since there are no other means because there is no option for "upload portfolio" which would probably be a zip file.

(also my CGtalk portfolio is old, been needing to update it).

Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

If you're sending via online form or emailing to HR, chances are your application will never ever reach the guys that matter anyway.

You need connection. You wouldn't believe how 1 single piece of work will land you a job if it's seen by the right guy.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

There's a finite size limit to emails at offices. Dumping in images will bounce back your email and likely piss people of for cramming so much junk in to their in box.

A nice link to your online portfolio and a YouTube link will do just fine.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

It is probably for an automated scanner looking for keywords.... just make sure you have that covered and it's coherent. 9 time out of 10, the HR person has a check list they are matching to forward onto the next level...

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X3
.. is it a good idea to insert renders into the document? Seems like alot of employers I come across, they only allow word documents for the resumes, but nothing about asking for examples of your work.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to insert my renders in there to kind of force them to see my work since there are no other means because there is no option for "upload portfolio" which would probably be a zip file.

(also my CGtalk portfolio is old, been needing to update it).

I wouldn't give them more than they ask for.
If they don't have a portfolio submission area it could be that they want such submissions at a later stage of the hire process.
As others have suggested the HR person screening the stuff probably doesn't know a good portfolio from my 5 year old's coloring book. They pass stuff onto somebody that does. *If* you sound interestingly qualified
for the job at hand (thank's to your CV).
Just about every employer has there own unique 'quirks' in the hire process.

Also I think having an online portfolio should be your priority#1. Its just the easiest and most flexible way to provide access to your stuff. Nearly every employer will accept it as an option at least.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread