CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Animator/3d generalist
Ralph Meijer
dissecting rigs

Hi everyone,

I'm currently shifting my focus from animation to rigging in order to gain some knowledge which will probably help me being a better animator. I've bought a couple of rigging dvd's, like for example the Animator Friendly Rigging which is very informative.

I also like to animate with the free rigs available on the net, like the malcolm rig released by Animschool. Those are very nice to animate with. Now I thought of trying to dissect the public available rigs in order to learn more about rigging and see how other people handle certain task and to take my rigging to another level.

What would be the best way in order to do this. The difficult part is to find out what all the connections are and to expose all the nodes. Are there little tricks you can do to work yourself through the rig?

Just curious how you guys would do this? I'm using maya btw.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Viktoras Makauskas
I don't think that's a valid way to learn how things work. To give a good example - if I took a rig I did myself, and tried to edit it by hand, I'd get lost in a forest of nodes without a clue what does what. A simple ik/fk switch with stretchy and soft-ik setup is complex enough when done with pure nodes and no expressions.
Most non-entry level rigs will be done by scripting parts of assembly. Myself - I prefer building it in one go, so my rig in WIP stage is just one single build script. If you got your hands on something like that (presuming you can read code), you'd get a much better view of how individual parts work and how that connects later into one big thing.
Victor - skinning plugin for Autodesk Maya
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread