Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
LuminousTyto
Veteran
portfolio
Anonymous
Anderson, United States Minor Outlying Islands

What's better Cinema 4D or Meya?

Lately I've been prowling the CG Society forum looking at all the 3d modeling work. It's really amazing and I find it alluring.

I wanna know more about it.

I find models of characters and landscapes (urban and rural) fascinating. I wanna know which program is better for those things. Cinema 4D or Maya? Which is easier?

Can this kind of skill be learned without going to a school. I got no money but it looks very interesting.

Is this sort of thing always done professionally or are there just "hobbyists" too?

If you know any good articles or other online resources that would shed some light on what it takes to get into this industry, please do.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey,

You might want to check out a free 3D program called Blender.

http://www.blender.org/

You can defiantly learn this stuff on your own. There's tons of free tutorials that people have made for blender.

I would say Cinema is easier, but Maya is more powerful. You can get both on a free trial from Maxon and Autodesk if you want to play around.

Lots of people do this stuff as a hobby, including myself.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 07-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
jForsgren
portfolio
Johan Forsgren
Skövde, Sweden

I would say that modeling is quite universal, so any program would serve. Blender Is great for starters though, it got a really intuitive GUI and, of course, it's free.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
LuminousTyto
Veteran
portfolio
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jForsgren
I would say that modeling is quite universal, so any program would serve. Blender Is great for starters though, it got a really intuitive GUI and, of course, it's free.

I have been looking at blender actually and I've gone to blndercookie.com too. Very surprised to see so any tutorials, and so organized! I'm thinking about using it, but I hear that the user interface is not friendly at all!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
jForsgren
portfolio
Johan Forsgren
Skövde, Sweden

LuminousTyto: That was true in blender 2.5, but not anymore. I would say that the interface is on par with most other 3d packages. It's still lacking some bits and pieces when it comes to features, but I'm beginning to consider it for some of my simpler projects, just for fun

Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
LuminousTyto
Veteran
portfolio
Anonymous

I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

Yes. You can learn modeling/texturing/lighting/animating/rendering on your own. Is this something you want to do for fun or as a "career"? And how much money do you have to spend on upgrades to stay current with the "industry"?

As you learn about modeling, you will see what tools you use more for getting work done and know what to look for to accomplish that work even quicker.

Also, read through generic modeling books at the bookstore to see what tools and steps the authors use to model organic and mechanic objects. This will help you decide how you will approach modeling. Will you be sculpting more? Will you be tracing/drawing more? Will you be cutting/carving more? Will the program be growing/replicating objects for you?

See if you can get trial versions of programs to see which tool interface and rendering time is to your liking.

ADDED:
Blender's current interface is now what you'd expect from a typical modeling program. I have never used Blender because I already had some modeling programs.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll : 07-12-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
fluidpotential
portfolio
Chris Rutledge
fluidpotential®
Atlanta, USA

I was in your exact same position last year so I feel obligated to offer insight since I've received great advice from veterans in the industry. I can't comment on blender because I never used it, nor Cinema 4D. I have used Maya for about a year now and its proved to be great so far and appears to be favored among those I've spoken with. Most of these software's offer trial versions on their websites so I would suggest looking into this as an option. Although there are "tons" of free tutorials online which have offered me countless guidance, there is a paid option which I used when I got started. FXPhD www.fxphd.com offers very low cost online courses specific to certain softwares, skills, etc.. You'll also receive access to the software programs when registered. I don't work for FXPhD, just a noob who found his way through taking their courses.

www.fluidpotential.com
Join Me On Twitter

Also on Facebook!

Thread Closed share thread