Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #16
bassaminator
Frequenter

portfolio
Bassam Kurdali
Amherst, USA

Send a message via ICQ to bassaminator
I'd say blender is general purpose- more suited to TV, freelance work, and interactive stuff (even has a built-in gameengine) than film- reason I say this is the render output bit depth is 8bit, though I wouldn't be surprised if 16 bit render output file format were available by end of this year. Most users are hobbiests, but there are some professionals who use it, and I've seem some surprisingly esoteric ones in simulation and the like.
Interface is more similar to XSI, lightwave or luxology Modo- its based on resizable tiled windows (not overlapping) and floating panels that can be moved, minimized or clicked through. Traditionaly its very keyboard shortcut oriented, which is why many new users couldn't use it well. Today most (maybe all?) options are available through toolbox, menus, and interface buttons. It's mouse button use (left button right button) is opposite of every other app you use. This isn't a big deal long term, but new people can get confused by it.
blender websites are www.blender.org and www.elysiun.com (user forums) you can find links to tutorials on the site, and in a sticky in the QandA forums on elysiun. Current release just came out during siggraph so its hot off the presses. Unfortunatly, my personal site is pretty much non-existant right now, except as a warehouse for files. I should work on this...

Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #17
BESTrin
Lord of the posts

Bob Estrin
unemployed
USA

Send a message via AIM to BESTrin
thas so good. I love the anim. Great tuff. I like the chiken bette than the chair especialy how the feet move and look. The just have the right wait and chickeness. Great job.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 PM   #18
DoctorStopMo
Frequenter

Bob Saccomano
Student
Hillside, IL,

Send a message via AIM to DoctorStopMo
Amazing! I didn't know Blender was capable of stuff like that. Your work is a great credit to the program!

Old 09-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #19
exe69
Veteran
portfolio
Paul Wojdylo
CG Artist
soho vfx
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via AIM to exe69

awesome animation

Old 09-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #20
bassaminator
Frequenter

portfolio
Bassam Kurdali
Amherst, USA

thanks folks

BESTrin, your post had me in stiches. chickeness is a word I'm going to use more often now.
DoctorStopMo - I insert for you hear the obligatory "it's not the tool, it's the artist" reply. Blender is quite capable tho, and while I would be surprised to see something like this done in say, bryce, Most current versions of 3D animation packages should be capable of doing this type of animation with different degrees of ease. In blender its pretty easy depending on skill.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:36 AM   #21
BESTrin
Lord of the posts

Bob Estrin
unemployed
USA

Send a message via AIM to BESTrin
Im glad you enjoyed my post. If chickeness isnt in the dictionary already it should be. It could have an alternate meaning as a female chincken, hen is out. Your right that its not the tool but the artist but its also true you dont see nearly as much work of this calaber coming from blender. Then again there are alot fewer blender users. I tried it but couldnt get used to the interface. Once again great work.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #22
JA-forreal
Itchy render fingers

3d Designer

Great work bassaminator! You inspire me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorStopMo
Amazing! I didn't know Blender was capable of stuff like that. Your work is a great credit to the program!

If you use Blender you will discover what your capable of or what your made of. It can be a trial by fire but you will end up saying "burn baby burn"! Hehehe. A lot of that will have to do with Blenders speedy workflow.

Have fun!

Last edited by JA-forreal : 09-20-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:13 AM   #23
bassaminator
Frequenter

portfolio
Bassam Kurdali
Amherst, USA

thanks dude! I'm glad you liked it. I'm aiming to improve my animation quality for the next minitru test. I'm glad this inspired you; blender needs more animators!

Old 09-23-2004, 02:27 AM   #24
bbirras
beerdrinker

Fantastic!!

You should send this in as a Suzanne Award entry.

Inspired me too. Blender is getting better and better…hopefully they (the coders, spending their free time on improving the app) put more work on the good ol character animation futures. It is still a bit…hmm-you know what I mean!

Workflow in Blender is unbeatably fast and uncomplicated—strait forward-

We need more animators.OK, but it really does not matter which app you use. Just to show of a program. Dunno if Blender needs this. Blender is there, it is free and it is used by many small studios for video production and artists like you.

I like your anim, because it is well done, not because it is made with “MY” program.

If anyone will try it just go right ahead to:

www.blender3d.org

download it for linux,win, OSX,irix, or FreeBSD, then head over to the online doc:

http://www.blender.org/modules/docu...tmlI/book1.html

and get going. It is a fun piece of soft, I can tell ya.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:58 PM   #25
bassaminator
Frequenter

portfolio
Bassam Kurdali
Amherst, USA

glad you liked it dude. I totally agree- the ability of the artist is more important than agonizing over the right software- and don't worry, the coders are planning animation system revamp/improvement specifically for character animators. Some of the stuff is already visible in cvs ( hooks, curve deform, which combine to give us something like "spline IK" ) very useful for tubes, hoses and tentacles. plus some enhacement to the NLA Some of the stuff (soft body dynamics) will be in 2.35 and some is planned for 2.36 (general animation tools refactoring)
I'm proably missing stuff, but I'm optimistic that blender will become "optimal" for even very complex animation tasks soon.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #26
zachboy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassaminator
BESTrin, your post had me in stiches. chickeness is a word I'm going to use more often now.
DoctorStopMo - I insert for you hear the obligatory "it's not the tool, it's the artist" reply. Blender is quite capable tho, and while I would be surprised to see something like this done in say, bryce, Most current versions of 3D animation packages should be capable of doing this type of animation with different degrees of ease. In blender its pretty easy depending on skill.

hey bassinator, if you're the one that did the chickenchair anim, how did you do the textures? did you bake them? I'm looking for some good tutes on how to do stuff like that. I would appreciate it if you could list a few if you know of any.

THANKS!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #27
BlackCheecka

Surprise Surprise

Hi Bassam ...
Hope u still read replies to this thread ...
Don wanna talk bout the animation ... the guys really said enuf ...
In short terms "IT ROX !" ...

What I need YOU to do is to add me to your MSN Msg contact list ...
BlackCheecka@Hotmail.com
I think you're in for a big surprise ... HeHe

Cya there ...

Old 11-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #28
BlackCheecka

Surprise Surprise

Hi Bassam ...
Hope u still read replies to this thread ...
Don wanna talk bout the animation ... the guys really said enuf ...
In short terms "IT ROX !" ...

What I need YOU to do is to add me to your MSN Msg contact list ...
BlackCheecka@Hotmail.com
I think you're in for a big surprise ... HeHe

Cya there ...

Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #29
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread