Difficulty with Nhair and Ncloth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Unhappy Difficulty with Nhair and Ncloth

Hello, I'm relatively new to Maya but I have a some what bothersome problem and question which I have been unable to find an answer to.
For the past three days I've been messing with a character I have built in Maya, and now after going through endless tutorials, they have hair, they have clothes.

And now I need to move them away from the origin. This is where the problems arise rapidly.

The hair is all apparently attached and what not to where it should be while I move it around. But when I render it, it's about a mile off from her head.

I have a simillar problem with her dress. If I parent it to the rig, the bone it's parented to freezes in place but the rest of the body continues to stretch where I drag it to.
Another problem is that it does what the hair is doing, but in maya as well as the render window. (Which is unlike Maya.)

This is my final degree piece, the first time I've used Maya in over a year to ( we made a lamp post last year!) because our 3D lecturer quit. I really need to start rendering on Thursday for the Monday hand in. But I can't get the hair and clothes to attach.
I'm really panicing now which is why I have come to a forum for help.

Please help :(

06 June 2013
It depends on how you attached the hair, but in generally keep all the hair parented under the world, not the object. The hair follicles manage attachment to the character using uv position on surface. (if instead you did make curves dynamic without an attachment mesh then you might need to parent the follicles and only the follicles to the head) The same is true for the outputCloth mesh... do not parent it to anything. (the input mesh should be parented or rigged to your character, however.)

06 June 2013
Yeah, have the follicles attached to the head and rewind to frame 1 (double back arrow key on the bottom right) once you move the model. nHair is a bit tricky, but once you get used to how it works it isn't too bad.

For animation I usually give the nHair some time to settle and get into a pose from frame -24 to frame 0. Just remember to change the start frame for the nucleus solver if you want to do this.

06 June 2013
Hello, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you very much for the answers!

I tried numerous times, but it was almost like an invisible pivot was moving at a different time to the body and it's global control curve
In the end I had to use another set of hair I had made from a paint effects tutorial as I didn't have any issues with that one. It just took forever to reshape, using all the tiny spots (vertices?).
I thankfully made my deadline yesterday, though due to maya now refusing to render from anything beyond frame 1 as a start frame, I had to use low quality to make it in time :(

Either way, animation is all done I'm really grateful for the suggestions, I need to thoroughly investigate the dynamics to see if I can get my head around it now.

06 June 2013
Were you creating a cache before rendering? And what was you animation playback setting? Was it every frame or real time?

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread