Need GI Help, Vray for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
Need GI Help, Vray for Maya

Take a look at my pic please. Overall I'm happy with the lighting but there are still parts that are too dark. Noticeable the ivy shaded area is black. What is the appropriate way to make the secondary light brighter?

I'm aiming for realism here and have been keeping the multipliers at 1 because I'm under the impression that's real world.

My set up it a vray sun, intensity .9. I'm using a dome light with hdr sky and it's multiplier is high, I set it to 10 to get more bounced light as it was a quick fix but not a solution yet. My primary gi is Irradiance and secondary is light cache.

All related render settings are in the pics. In addition to my issue if you see anything else that is wrong or can be better in my render settings please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fin side small.jpg (85.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg all settings 1.jpg (91.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg all settings 2.jpg (97.5 KB, 8 views)

03 March 2014
Use vray2sidedmtl for the ivy leaves to add some fast thin-sheet SSS to them.

It will help making them look more like the real thing.

03 March 2014
Thank you, I will do that to the ivy.

Anything else I can do here guys to make it look more real?

I still feel like the shaded areas are too dark, then again I have been staring at it for hours and loosing focus.

03 March 2014
I'm a bit confused. My shader consists of a front of leaf, back of leaf and 2sided material combining them. What creates the translucency? Is it the 2sided material translucency slider? Do I have to add transparency/translucency to the front or back material also?

04 April 2014
Hi Buzert,

The 2-sided material is a fake translucency shader. You've done the right thing by inserting your 2 leaf materials into front & back material slots. The fake translucency is adjusted by selecting the color in the translucency color picker. The default of grey will give you an average between seeing the front material and back material. Making it black will make the material not look translucent and making it white will make it look very translucent.

You don't need to add translucency or transparency to your front and back material.

Hope that helps

reply share thread