Maya to zbrush (Beginner problem)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Maya to zbrush (Beginner problem)

Hi,

so was modeling some models in maya and now i'm trying to import them to zbrush for detail. But i have a few problems here.

-First one is, that some of the faces are not visible (which means that i have to fix the normals on those faces right?). What would be the best way to go about doing that?

-Second one in zbrush is more of a warning, that my model contains non-standard polygons and gives me 2 options to fix them.

-The third one is saying that i have unused 3D points.

Somewhere between here, while zbrush trys to fix this, the model gets deformed. I'm not sure which fix does it because zbrush changes the geometry and delets points.

Now the model has holes and strange verts connected.

What does one have to look for, when modeling and knowing that he's going to use zbrush. Because i noticed, even if i extrude a simple box in the "wrong" way, the faces aren't visible in zbrush. So if you HAVE to push the extruded face "inside", you have to change the normals on all of those new faces for zbrush to see them?

Hope you can help, had trouble finding anything about the second and definetly the third problems on the web.

Thanks

03 March 2013
Quote: -First one is, that some of the faces are not visible (which means that i have to fix the normals on those faces right?). What would be the best way to go about doing that?

ya, your normals are reversed. but if you want to see both sides of meshes in ZBrush, turn on the amazingly ambiguously named "Double" setting in the Tool palette/Display Properties rollout.

Quote: -Second one in zbrush is more of a warning, that my model contains non-standard polygons and gives me 2 options to fix them.

that's not a problem really.

Quote: -The third one is saying that i have unused 3D points.

never seen that. try poly cleanup in Maya. You must have some pretty shaggy topology.

What does one have to look for, when modeling and knowing that he's going to use zbrush. Because i noticed, even if i extrude a simple box in the "wrong" way, the faces aren't visible in zbrush. So if you HAVE to push the extruded face "inside", you have to change the normals on all of those new faces for zbrush to see them?

I suggest you toggle normals in Maya to check which way things are facing while you extrude. I made a toolbox that has a lot of little "good topology" scripts that you might find useful for modelling:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...polygon/c/facer

But you should probably read my 3D primer (both parts) to understand best approaches and good topology:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2009/1...o-to-3d-part-1/

That first part is about modelling, sculpting and texturing. The second part deals with rendering.

03 March 2013
Thank you, got it working now. And i will definetly read trough that when i find some time. Looks like you put in alot of work, worth checking.

Enjoy

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread