Super Simple Rig

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2016   #106
Hi,

What happens when you press the reset button?

And about the "centered spine", could you make a screenshot of what the problem is?

Old 05 May 2016   #107
Thanks again Rune, this rig is so painless and, dare I say it....simple to use in every way. I haven't used it since first testing it back in 2013, but my recent need to set up a good workflow to Unreal Engine 4 led me straight back to it.

On my first test using SSR to UE4 I had a simple character mesh rigged, skinned, and in-engine with several test animations in under an hour, with no problems. I just had to get around the multiple root hierarchies by applying an edit mesh mod to the CTRL root and exporting that with the bones. Worked great, first time. Plus it's a very lightweight hierarchy.
I had been using CAT up to that point and it still worked fine but I've always found it a pain to animate with.

SSR does exactly what it says on the tin, and it does it really well. I'll make a donation as soon as I get my new PP account up and running.

Just wondered if you had any plans to add mocap support? If this gets more interest from the games industry it could completely replace Biped/CAT altogether and become the new modern standard go-to rig in Max to rival any Maya equivalent.

Thanks again mate. Quality.

Old 05 May 2016   #108
Also, still testing. In the current test SSR is built with the knee pole vectors mirrored. So they are behind the rig and left is on the right side/vice versa. And they are colour mismatched(green vector associated with red knee_pin/vice versa.

I have set up the rig with straighten knees/elbows. Everything else default. Mesh has reset transform/scale in the hierarchy tab and a collapsed Xform.

Cheers mate.

Old 05 May 2016   #109
Are you sure the knee helper object is in front of foot and hip, the orientation is calculated in relation to the angle between hip / foot and knee.
There are more small inconsistencies in SSR, but we've been using it successfully for some time now.

Old 05 May 2016   #110
Yes, add mocap support for ssr please, it would be the best rig

Old 05 May 2016   #111
Originally Posted by JHN: Are you sure the knee helper object is in front of foot and hip, the orientation is calculated in relation to the angle between hip / foot and knee.
There are more small inconsistencies in SSR, but we've been using it successfully for some time now.

Thanks for that. Yes, I believe that was the issue. Due to the way the character is modeled in T-pose the hip must have been slightly in front of the knee, breaking the 'triangle' knee/hip/foot.

Old 05 May 2016   #112
Thanks for all the kind words!!

I see there are some knee issues with the animal rigs as well. I tweaked the knee locator code and it might be messing up the two-legged rigs too. Could you send me the .rig file, so I can have a look? Not much time to dig into the code just now, but I can do minor bugfixes without problem.

I hope to start adding features again after summer. First up on my priority list is saving of rig configs, bend sliders and a simpler FK/IK arm setup without stretch. That and some other small stuff will be version 1.5.

For version 1.6 there are more cool stuff planned, like face rigging (yeah!), massfx simulated limbs, and basic tools for switching shots and track view editing tools! That will be a bit more into the future, but some of these features are already starting to take shape.

I looked into mocap, but it was a bit more difficult than I expected! I thought the data would be more raw, with positional data per frame, but the mocap files I've found are complex XML assemblies with rotational data. Positional data would be relatively easy to implement, but rotations are a bit more complex in terms of math - I think the math required are beyond me...

Last edited by SuperRune : 03 March 2017 at 12:40 PM.

Old 05 May 2016   #113
massfx simulated limbs??

sounds too good to be true!

yes!

Old 05 May 2016   #114
Originally Posted by SuperRune: Thanks for all the kind words!!

I see there are some knee issues with the animal rigs as well. I tweaked the knee locator code and it might be messing up the two-legged rigs too. Could you send me the .rig file, so I can have a look? Not much time to dig into the code just now, but I can do minor bugfixes without problem.

I hope to start adding features again after summer. First up on my priority list is saving of rig configs, bend sliders and a simpler FK/IK arm setup without stretch. That and some other small stuff will be version 1.4.

For version 1.5 there are more cool stuff planned, like face rigging (yeah!), massfx simulated limbs, and basic tools for switching shots and track view editing tools! That will be a bit more into the future, but some of these features are already starting to take shape.

I looked into mocap, but it was a bit more difficult than I expected! I thought the data would be more raw, with positional data per frame, but the mocap files I've found are complex XML assemblies with rotational data. Positional data would be relatively easy to implement, but rotations are a bit more complex in terms of math - I think the math required are beyond me...

The rig that broke the knees was just a default setup, Rune.(straighten elbows/knees was the only thing I changed) You can probably emulate the break by aligning the knee/hip/foot locators closely - from the left view/Y vertical axis.

The planned updates sound great.

Pity about the mocap. As I said above - and I don't think I exaggerate - if this rig had mocap support I believe it could completely replace both Biped and CAT as Max's go to rig in the games industry.

Old 05 May 2016   #115
There is an issue/design choice that would I would like to raise. The rotation of the hand only follows the FK hand control only. So if you parent or link the hand IK to the other hand the rotation is not locked with the hand. For that hand to totally be locked to a position and rotation from another object you need to also somehow constrain the FK rotation. A good example is trying to have the rig hold a gun with 2 hands and have the hands locked in place. Rune, can you confirm, or do I miss something obvious?

Old 11 November 2016   #116
Sorry for the lack of replies and updates!

I finished my first short film in May, and life has been super hectic since then. I just finished a small festival tour in Sweden, Canada and the US, and even managed to get an award for the film in Ottawa. Of course, the film was rigged and animated using Super Simple Rig.

The film will be released next year, you can see a teaser here:

I'm taking December off, and will spend some time with the rig, trying to get a release out before christmas. The focus will mainly be on fixing bugs, making PEN attribute holder optional, and the other stuff mentioned for the 1.5 release. Sorry for me being so slow, but there has been very little time for development lately..

Johan, about the arms, this is what I've suggested to my animators: If you need both hands on a gun, parent the hand IKs and the hand world orient helpers to the gun, and then use the gun as the driving object. Remember to slide the hand rotation to follow world orientation. If you want one of the arms as FK, then just parent the other hand IK and hand world orient to the other hand. I think that worked just fine last time we tried.

Last edited by SuperRune : 03 March 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Old 11 November 2016   #117
Cool, we'll have a better look then. Oh and dare I say it... github.... contact me... :P

Cheers Rune, again congrats on the awesome (ly weird) short and all accompanying accolades it deserves!

-Johan

Old 03 March 2017   #118
I'm just popping in again to make sure the thread isn't locked.

No news on the rig, still waiting for some quality time for scripting. Hopefully that will happen before summer. I'm in the process of outsourcing more aspects of my current project, just to get some time for the Super Simple Rig. I am really really considering Github now Johan, we should talk pretty soon

One cool thing though, we just released a music video featuring a large chunk of my latest short. Check it out for some work done with the rig

Last edited by SuperRune : 03 March 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Old 03 March 2017   #119
Hit me up bruh! :P

reply share thread