The Foundry is spying on us, I wonder who else?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2017   #151
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: My brother worked at an engineering company which on some random day got a sudden unannounced visit from an autodesk representative and a bailiff...

Is that really allowed over there, I mean unannounced and without a court order? That seems like doing a search without a warrant.

Old 01 January 2017   #152
Originally Posted by Dillster: Is that really allowed over there, I mean unannounced and without a court order? That seems like doing a search without a warrant.

That's exactly the 1st thing that I came into my mind as well...

I don't know the answer, but I know they ended up paying it. My guess they got intimidated (like in so many other cases it seems looking at this thread).
Getting things like this into court can be very costly and time consuming (which big corporation make happily advantage of).

I know bailiffs over here don't really care about rights.. they only care about getting the job done (getting the money) for their client (and themselves) and aren't shy to lie about the law in the process of doing so to the person who's in trouble.

I would've contacted my lawyer first thing... but hey thats just me.

Yeah , they must've had a court order to get that kind of search done... Or the company must've been really stupid to let them in without it...

Anyway, I found it really weird as well and I only know what my brother told me (he was there when it happened and saw it all with his own eyes and I trust him on this). I dont know all the other details.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 01 January 2017 at 12:49 PM.

Old 01 January 2017   #153
What are the odds of a company realizing your indie game was created using pirated Modo? and then being taken down from steam one day?

If I create a game it would certainly get more attention than most releases because I know how to market it and how to create it for it to be talked about.

But my concern is not being sued they can't sue me where I live, but what they can do is have steam take down the game IF they somehow know. I have ESET smart security to block Modo from accessing the web

I am using Blender for all of my work because its pretty easy and lots of tutorials online for it so I am wondering if to just stick to blender.

Old 01 January 2017   #154
Originally Posted by john5220: What are the odds of a company realizing your indie game was created using pirated Modo?....

I would guess that kind of thing is possible. I read somewhere that Adobe can tell if an image was made in a pirated version of Photoshop, the info is buried in the image data apparently. It seems reasonable to expect makers of 3D software to also be able to do this if they need to.

Old 01 January 2017   #155
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: My brother worked at an engineering company which on some random day got a sudden unannounced visit from an autodesk representative and a bailiff...

Everybody had too instantly stop doing whatever they were doing on the pc's and keep their hands of the pc's.

Autodesk has been doing this in many countries since the 1980s.

They pick large engineering/design companies that they know use AutoCAD and similar AD products.

One day they turn up at the door with a court order, lawyers and/or police and check all of the licenses on the PCs in the office.

Then they demand USD 100,000 fine or similar be paid per license violation they find and threaten that "people from your company will go to prison if you don't pay". Many companies get scared by this and pay whatever Autodesk demands from them.

Autodesk makes HUGE amounts of money from this strategy - they collect big fines all over the world.

Autodesk is a FUCKED UP mafia-tactics sort of company. They always have been.

Don't buy Autodesk products. You are feeding the greediest 3D company in the world.

Old 01 January 2017   #156
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Autodesk has been doing this in many countries since the 1980s.

They pick large engineering/design companies that they know use AutoCAD and similar AD products.

One day they turn up at the door with a court order, lawyers and/or police and check all of the licenses on the PCs in the office.

Then they demand USD 100,000 fine or similar be paid per license violation they find and threaten that "people from your company will go to prison if you don't pay". Many companies get scared by this and pay whatever Autodesk demands from them.

Autodesk makes HUGE amounts of money from this strategy - they collect big fines all over the world.

Autodesk is a FUCKED UP mafia-tactics sort of company. They always have been.

Don't buy Autodesk products. You are feeding the greediest 3D company in the world.

Do you realize how retarded your post is?

You claim large engineering companies use pirated software. Anyone who owns a large engineering company and still resorts to stealing should not only be jailed but should also be butt fcuked in jail with a pineapple aswell

Old 01 January 2017   #157
Originally Posted by john5220: Do you realize how retarded your post is?

You claim large engineering companies use pirated software. Anyone who owns a large engineering company and still resorts to stealing should not only be jailed but should also be butt fcuked in jail with a pineapple aswell

AutoCAD and other CAD software was VERY expensive for developing world engineering firms back in the 1980s and 1990s.

I'm talking about Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Libya, Sudan, Nigeria and similar developing countries where engineering firms were struggling to even afford enough CAD capable PCs for their engineers.

Somebody or the other at these firms would thus ALWAYS install "one more copy of AutoCAD on the corner PC".

Autodesk would then arrive with "court order" in hand, find the software and demand that HUGE fines be paid by these companies "or somebody goes to jail".

Autodesk made a lot of money this way - "pay us USD XXX,XXX in fines or your engineers go to jail".

If you had been an expat or consultant in these countries in the 80s/90s you would know that AD actually did this.

Old 01 January 2017   #158
^ Then those companies could simply use alternatives that are either cheaper or free.

Old 01 January 2017   #159
Originally Posted by john5220: Do you realize how retarded your post is?

Eh, this happened to us - we're pretty big in our industry but 10 years ago we got a $400k fine from adobe.
Basically what happened is the IT guy at the time, instead of dealing with licenses properly was installing the same pirated copies on all the machines because he couldn't be arsed doing it properly. The budget was there, anything he needed was/wouldve been approved.
The same guy got fired for making a mess of some other things and tipped adobe off to what he'd done so they came round with a court order to check the licenses. Slapped us with a massive fine. Now we are locked down tighter than you could imagine and regularly audit ourselves.

It's more likley to happen at a huge firm because it's always caused by people who have admin rights to install software and cant be bothered to send emails and wait for approval to buy new licenses. The bigger you are the harder it is to police this.

reply share thread